Not Hot Water going into washing machine

Old 07-19-12, 03:14 PM
Not Hot Water going into washing machine

Our washing machine was dissconented adn then reconencted when our kicthen was renovated and ever since there is not hot water going into the machine.
We have inspected it and found out that. We do have hot water and both the cold (blue) and hot (Red) pipes are connected and the leavers turned on. but when we put a load in and the machine starts only cold water goes down the pipe and into teh machine and no hot water enters the (red) pipe at all so does even enter the machine. Please help

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-12, 04:10 PM
Are you saying you are getting hot water from the tap, but not into the machine? Or is cold water coming out of the hot water tap?

If hot water is getting to the machine, but not going into the machine, my washing machine has a knob to select the wash and rinse temperatures. Hot/Cold, Warm/Cold, and Cold/Cold (The first word means the wash cycle, and the second is the rinse, which is always cold.) Is your knob set to Cold/Cold? That'd give you cold only. It may have been bumped during your move.

Also, even with hot selected, the machine doesn't actually put straight hot water in the tub, it actually alternates between hot only, and hot and cold mixed, so if you put your hand in during the hot and cold mixed cycle, it won't be really hot.

Also, if you haven't already, double check that you do not have the hoses swapped behind the machine.

If you aren't getting hot water from the tap (no machine involved) then that's another issue altogether.

Just my guesses.

Old 07-19-12, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator
After you see if the hoses are swapped, and that the washer is on proper cycle, pull the hoses. There are screens on each side on some. They may be clogged with sediment. Also where the hose connects to the washer there is a screen on the washer itself. These can be pulled out with a needle nose pliers and cleaned.

Make sure you reinstall. It protects the solenoid.

Old 07-19-12, 10:31 PM
thank you for your replies wll try this,,,

Old 07-19-12, 10:34 PM
Its tricky to explain.. when the washing machien starts its cycle it only takes in water from the cold tap not the hot... we can also hear this when we turn the cold tap on in the sink,, then no water goes into the washing machine at all.. so its not taking any hot water at all...
when we looked under the sink.. we can hear and feel cold water goign through teh blue pipe but nothing comes through the red pipe.

Old 07-20-12, 04:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Was any plumbing changed during the kitchen remodel?

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 07-20-12, 05:15 AM
What happened when you checked the hoses and hot/cold selector knob as suggested in the previous posts? I'm assuming you did that, but you should post the results back here so we know where you stand. (What is your country by the way?)

If you checked those things, then you still need to investigate further.
In my opinion (Warning: I am not a plumber!), you need to shut off the hot water valve on the wall (what we called the "tap" earlier), disconnect the red hose, and using a bucket if necessary, run the water for a minute. If you get hot water (be careful!), the problem is with the red hose or the washing machine. If there is no water, or if there is cold water instead of hot water, then the problem is with the plumbing in the house.

If you post those results back here, then perhaps one of the plumbing experts can tell you how to proceed from there.

Old 07-28-12, 06:01 AM
Hello.. Thank you all for your help and welcome.. Right I have finnally checked everything listed here and had a discovery!! the hot water is coming down into the red pipe all the way through. I dissconected both ends and hot water is comign through. so I now know it is infact teh washing machine.
I am not sure how to tell if the pipes are the wrong way around. I put a load in while i had the machine out and reaslied that it only take water from the cold pipe even though I have it on a hot wash.. im thinking of eitehr 1) trying a cold wash and see if it takes water from the red pipe(hot)
2) just swopping the pipes around?

What would you suggest?
thanks

Old 07-28-12, 06:17 AM
Super Moderator
1) trying a cold wash and see if it takes water from the red pipe(hot)
Of course try that first.

Old 07-28-12, 06:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The washer should be marked H/C or red/blue, so just make sure the H on the washer goes to the hot valve.

If you're getting water out the hoses (when disconnected from the washer), there could also be something that disconnected or loosened up in the washer as it was moved around. There's a solenoid valve that turns on/off the water, and it could have failed or the wire loosened or disconnected.

Old 07-28-12, 08:09 AM
ok tried the cold wash thing and the water still came from the cold (blue) pipe, so the machine is not taking the water in from the red pipe at all.. ive resorted to just swapping them around for now.. even though i think it was the right way to begin with... but at least the clothes can be washed in hot water and not cold.. can this be left like this without casuing problems now ive swticheed it round.. ..will prob have to get someone out to see whats actaully wrong at some point.. it sounds like the machine itself.. or might purchase a new one.

Old 07-28-12, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator
Yes could be the washer.

Question: Did you look on the washer end where the hot hose attaches to the washer? There is a screen there and often gets clogged.

Since you switched the hose and it works we know it not the hose.

I see no reason not to keep it this way until you get it fixed.

Possibly post the make and model of the washer and possibly an appliance member could help.

Old 07-28-12, 08:31 AM
thanks for your reply... i did see the screen and had a little fiddle with it.. attempted to take it out without fore and it didnt budge so wasnt sure if it could be taken out or not.. didnt want to damage anything... yes I will get the details and put them up...
thanks again