Hot Water when cold is turned on.

Old 01-22-01, 10:16 AM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

When turning on the cold water at any of the faucets, I will initially get HOT water, then slowly turns to cold. The water that comes out is VERY hot. I can then switch to the hot water and I'll get cold for a moment then it turns back to hot. If I then go back to cold, it is ok. I currently looking for a new water heater as I hope this will fix the problem. I am guessing that my dip tube is cracked or broken or that some sort of check valve is stuck and allowing hot water into the cold inlet? Does this sound realistic? Thanks for your help in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-01, 12:53 PM
How far away is the water heater from the faucets?

It could be the water heater but something tells me it's not possible.

This is a hard problem to figure out without actully being there.

Old 01-22-01, 01:02 PM
Did the problem just start? Have you had any recent plumbing done? Any chance your cold water lines are touching a heat duct of other source of heat? Do you have any mixer valves (hot and cold) installed in your house?

Rick

Old 01-22-01, 01:45 PM
Visiting Guest
The water heater distance from the faucets range from 10 to 25 feet probably. I also have 2 outside spigots that when turned on, will spew forth HOT water then turn to cold. We have had the problem since we bought the house 3 years ago. I'm fairly sure there are no mixer valves, and I have traced the lines to see if they crossed and they don't appear to be touching anything. The pipes are pvc. The cold water inlet pipe is warm to the touch near the water heater but it does not seem as hot as the water that comes out of the faucet. We have a 40 Gal. water heater, it is an AO SMITH Electric I
820-K-77-36441 (I believe this says that it was made in 1977.)
40 gal.
Model: ELJ 40
Series: 820

I realize this is a very old heater. I am hoping to save considerably on my electric bill by replacing it as well as fix this problem.

Another thing I hope may help you diagnose: I usually shower after my wife, and the water starts out hot but it is not long before I have the faucet turned to HOT completely and it is barely hot enough for me. The first shower is similar but to maintain heat you have to continually turn to HOT.

THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR IDEAS.

Old 01-22-01, 02:14 PM
Sounds like someone has cross plumbed a hot water line into the cold water line, only thing you can do if fallow the hot water line out and see if indeed it is tied into a cold water feed somewhere.

Old 01-22-01, 02:25 PM
Visiting Guest
I have followed the lines and they do not appear to be cross plumbed anywhere.

Old 01-22-01, 02:33 PM
See if replacing the water heater does it then, let us know if that solves the problem.

Good Luck