Going from copper to PEX, what to watch for?

Old 07-26-12, 07:17 AM
N
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
Going from copper to PEX, what to watch for?

Coming this fall or early winter, I'm going to be replumbing my house, switching from 1/2" copper everywhere to 3/4" PEX to most areas, and 1/2" to the final location.
The goal is to increase water volume as currently my pipework drops to 1/2" pipe right at the softener and to remove the many years of retrofits.

From all my reading, I believe I need ~18" of copper coming off the hot side of the hot water tank. Is there any other areas that I should run copper?

I'm on a well if that makes any difference.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-12, 08:31 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 524 Votes on 481 Posts
I don't have any copper at my water heater other than the fittings to go NPT to PEX. At least it was allowed my my house was built. Maybe your codes are different.

Some people still like to have copper stub outs at the fixtures. It provides a rigid mounting for shutoff valves but other than that I can't see any benefit. In all my houses the PEX is run right to the shutoffs with no copper. With the water in some areas of our county any copper is a problem and has a limited life so it's brass fittings and PEX all the way.

Old 07-26-12, 09:00 AM
N
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
I'm going to leave the last few feet to the fixture as copper (existing already). This will save me tearing into walls and add rigid mounting point as you mentioned.

If it wasn't for having to replace most of the gate valves in the house, I could actually do this and come out with more $$ after recycling the copper.