Water leaking into basement from outdoor faucet

Old 07-30-12, 07:43 AM
Q
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water leaking into basement from outdoor faucet

We recently bought a home and I noticed a few days ago that the carpet along the edge of the wall was very wet. I removed the carpet and the padding in that area and let it dry out. Yesterday, I turned on the outdoor faucet again for a few minutes to water the lawn and water started coming into the basement again. It doesn't leak when the faucet is turned off, so I have no idea where the water is coming from. How do I figure out where the leak is? And any ideas on how to find out what the extent of the water damage is so far? The carpet and padding have dried out, but I'm afraid there might be water behind the wall and in the insulation. I'm a new home owner, so I apologize if I've gotten the technical terms wrong.

Old 07-30-12, 07:46 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The carpet may be able to be reinstalled but you'll need to replace the padding.

You may need to end up tearing into the wall to find the leak but let's start simply - have you had rain during this time? Does the leak only seem to happen when that faucet is turned on?

How about some pictures? http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 07-30-12, 07:58 AM
Q
Thank you Mitch17. No, we haven't had rain in weeks. Yes, the leak does seem to happen only when faucet is turned on. The faucet outside leaks quite a bit when a hose is attached too. I thought this excess water when watering the lawn, was what creeped inside. But then yesterday, I had the faucet on for less than 5 mintues when I saw water creeping into the basement. I'll take pictures as soon as I get home.

Old 07-30-12, 08:06 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Yeah, I think your faucet is the culprit and you are likely going to have to tear into the wall. That said, let's start with the pictures and see where we go from there, replacing the faucet might solve the problem (but, of course, leave you not knowing what's going on inside the wall...).

Old 07-30-12, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
Apparently your faucet has a crack in it. It is common if the hose bib froze over the winter. This is caused by leaving the hose attached and not removing it during the colder months.

And since it only leaks when you turn it on it sound like a frost free type faucet. You will need to replace it.

Old 07-30-12, 08:37 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 872 Votes on 802 Posts
I'm thinking it's a frost proof faucet and possibly someone left a hose attached to it during the winter. First I would confirm that you have a frost proof type faucet.

This is a non frost proof silcokc (spelled incorrectly on purpose to get past the naughty word filter). They often have the knob at an angle or on top.

These are frost proof slicokcs. They usually have the knob on the front and often have a siphon break (a bump like thing on the spigot).

If you have a frost proof one you will need to access the area inside the house where the faucet is to confirm the leak. It will probably be in the floor/ceiling between your basement and main floor or inside a partition wall inside the house. Frost proof silcokc's are too long to be in a straight section of wall since they stick 12-18" into the house.

The long story: Frost proof faucets are actually quite long with the valve that does the work maybe a foot inside the home. Normally when the water is turned off the water drains out of the faucet and the valve is deep inside the house so it does not freeze. If a hose with a sprayer or some other nozzle is left attached to the spigot the water cannot drain away when the faucet is turned off. The water in the outer part of the spigot freezes forming a plug, and as it freezes more the pressure is trapped between the closed valve and the ice plug which splits the tube of the faucet. Surprisingly I've never had one split if the valve is left open. I suppose the pressure has somewhere to go.

Old 07-30-12, 09:08 AM
N
Received 18 Votes on 16 Posts
To the OP,
Where is the fauset leaking?
Is it leaking at the threads (where the hose attaches), at the handle, or somewhere else?

If it's at the threads (where the hose attaches), remove the hose, add some teflon tape to the threads and reattach the house. This ~$0.50 fix will resolve one issue, but not stop the water leaking when it rains.

Old 07-30-12, 09:44 AM
Q
picture of the faucet

This is similar to what I have outside : Name:  antisiphon_onfaucet1.jpg
Views: 54133
Size:  31.6 KB

It leaks from the top plastic valve and from the nut just behind the faucet valve. It also look like it is soldered onto the pipe, and not something that I can replace easily.

Sigh. Why didn't the home inspector catch this.. grrr.

Old 07-30-12, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator
Again, if its leaking inside the home when the water is turned on the faucet has a split in the pipe most likely.

You stated you have a basement? Can you see the pipe that goes to the hose bib from there? You should be able to see the split or where its leaking. Have someone turn it on briefly while inspecting.

If the connection is behind sheet rock you will need to cut a access panel out.

Old 07-30-12, 11:42 AM
N
Received 18 Votes on 16 Posts
Mike,
It could also be that the weeping tiles are damaged or non-existant and as a result, the water visibly leaking is getting into the house through a hole or crack in the foundation. This is my first thought which I am hoping I am very wrong about.

To the OP, could you try running the hose long enough to get water in the house, but with a bucket catching the water from the leaking faucet?
Disregard this if it's obviously leaking inside the wall from the pipe.

Old 07-30-12, 12:28 PM
Q
That's a good idea. I was considering pouring buckets of water near the area on the outside to eliminate a crack in foundation. But yours is better. My parched up lawn will need the water anyway. Will post the results 4 hrs from now . Thank you everyone. This is an awesome forum.

Old 07-30-12, 04:22 PM
Q
Pictures

These are the pictures of my outdoor faucet and the basement from the inside. The water seeps in near the baseboard. Now I had the faucet on for less than a minute and noticed the groove near the baseboard was wet.
Name:  PIPE1.jpg
Views: 75474
Size:  23.8 KB
Name:  wall.jpg
Views: 32720
Size:  27.4 KB

Old 07-30-12, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator
Is this a walkout basement? The hose bib is at waist level?

Sorry to say you should really cut a hole in the sheet rock to access the pipe to the hose bib. This way you will know exactly what your dealing with.

You can cut a small square and put one of those plastic access panels. Sometimes there is a valve nearby that usually shuts down the hose bib so it can be worked on. Otherwise the whole house valve will need to be shut off.

Old 07-30-12, 04:42 PM
Q
Yes, this is a walkout basement and the hose bib is at waist level. I have a rear hose bibb shut off valve. Thanks lawrosa, I'll do the wall surgery and let you know. I won't be able to get to it till the weekend though.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: