vent pipe- need to be straight?

Old 08-01-12, 08:31 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
vent pipe- need to be straight?

I'm trying to redesign my kitchen. In doing to (to maximize floorplan) we want to move the kitchen sink about 12" to 15" to the left. The current vent pipe for the drain goes straight up from the current drain through the roof. I have full access to the pipe from above (attic above kitchen) and some access below kitchen (I can access drain from underneath)- To make life simple- can I just put an elbow in the vent pipe from above and run it down the next bay where the new sink will be?- or does it always need to be straight run to the roof?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-12, 08:51 PM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I don't know if it is "to code", or "right", but I found a vent pipe similar to what you described in my kitchen, during a small reno.- the original builders did it that way so that they could have a window on the wall directly above the sink.
One thing, the "elbow" wasn't a regular 90 degree elbow. It was such that the vent line from the sink to the vertical part was at an upward angle, rather than horizontal.That may be a requirement.
I'm sure the pros will reply soon!
Good luck with your project!

Old 08-01-12, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
This is just an example, but why move the whole vent? Just cut out the current tee that is there, and install a new tee and arm to where you want the sink to be.

Of course if you need to move the bay just make sure you pitch the vent properly.