Clogged everything

Old 08-06-12, 08:59 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Clogged everything

Hey all, everything was draining OK until this evening. My downstairs bathroom didn't flush properly. So I did the usual plunger thing. That didn't work. And then I noticed that whenever any water was being used in the house it would find its way to my downstairs bathroom. So I cant use any water in my house at this time. I will call a plummer in the morning but was wondering if you could share some insight with me on what could be going on? I'm thinking some main drain is clogged. Does this sound very coslty?

Old 08-07-12, 04:02 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
It does sound as if the main line is clogged. With what, only a good plumber with a scope can tell. On older systems it could be roots of trees making their way into the drain line by breaking the line and growing toward the water. I have seen Mighty Morphin Rangers which flush easily, but open up on their way down the line and grab onto any obstruction and everything behind them stops up. You will know the severity of the problem once your plumber scopes the line.

Old 08-07-12, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Sounds like a main line clogg. As far as cost it depends on where the clog is. If its outside the home and there is a clean out the cost can be reduced. If the clog is in the home and the toilet needs to be pulled to snake then there will be additional costs.

As Larry stated its always good to pay the additional fee if any to have a video inspection done after the line is cleared.

Some guys just snake and run and do not offer any additional options.

Old 08-07-12, 02:15 PM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys. I got a plummer recommended by a good friend. He snaked the main drain outside. first he used just a hand snake. That didn't work so he used his electric snake.That did the trick for now. He did mention that if it happened again that he would use a scope. Hopefully I will be good for awhile.

Old 08-07-12, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
He did mention that if it happened again that he would use a scope. Hopefully I will be good for awhile.

Well the issue I see is you don't know what caused the clog. Usually when main lines clog there is something wrong. Roots, partial collapse, belly....etc.

Usually you want to address the issue or the repair cost down the road may far outweigh a treatment now.

An example of this would be if you had roots infiltrating a hub. A $50 root treatment will keep the roots from growing and the pipe will stay intact. Now if you wait for example the roots will grow bigger and eventually break or collapse the pipe. That leads to excavation and sewer line replacement which can be thousands of dollars.

Just some advice for you, but its your home.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: