Angle Stop Question

Old 08-12-12, 10:51 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Angle Stop Question

Hello,
I am new to this forum and have a couple of quick questons. I recently bought my house and I have noticed that my kitchen faucet doesn't seem to have a whole lot of pressure. I took the strainer out of the faucet and it is clean. However, the angle stops are ceased up. I can't turn them. My first question is can a faulty angle stop valve hender the pressure coming out of the faucet? Second, I attached a picture of the valve. Is this a sweated valve? If so, could I have desolder it? I have also heard of lossening the packing nut.
Name:  angle stop.jpg
Views: 740
Size:  27.7 KB

Thanks for all your time!

Old 08-12-12, 12:06 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
can a faulty angle stop valve hender the pressure coming out of the faucet?
Yes.

I have also heard of lossening the packing nut.
Loosening the packing nut if possible and removing the stem would be simplest. If you do, have someone briefly turn the water back on to blow any debris out. Hold a large container over it to catch the water.

Is this a sweated valve? If so, could I have desolder it?
Yes it is soldered on. I wouldn't try. I'd cut it off and use a shark bite valve. No soldering required. You have a second problem if that saddle valve is for an ice maker. Saddle valves can damage your ice maker because of restricted water flow. I'd suggest cutting the pipe just back of the saddle valve and installing dual port (1/4 &3/8) valve. That way you won't void the ice maker warranty and you will have a nice new valve for the sink. I'd also replace the supply line with a stainless steel braided flex line. A lot better then trying to get the old one to reseal.

Last edited by ray2047; 08-13-12 at 01:34 PM.
Old 08-13-12, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Ray has given you great advice. I only recommend two valves be installed. One for the ice maker and one for the sink. This way if there is an issue you can isolate the individual fixture or appliance.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: