Clanging pipes


Old 01-23-01, 09:34 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Plumbing experts,

I live in a condo on the 2nd floor. When the people in the unit above run the sink, dishwasher, washer machine and shower, I hear the water go thru the pipes. Several seconds later, the pipes start to clang/ping/bang (loudly sometimes). My management company has not address this issue yet because of other projects they have. What is the problem? Is it air in the pipes, unable to contract or expand or just faulty construction? What can I do to relate to my management company to fix it? I do not know what material the pipes are. I appreciate anyone's help.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-01, 09:51 AM
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Arlington, WA
Posts: 9,238
It's probably not air in the pipes -- that would work itself out. More than likely it is too much water pressure that is the problem. If it is let go for too long of a time, it could loosen the straps and anchors that are holding the pipes, making it more difficult to fix. This usually is first noticed around appliances like washing machines, dishwashers, and refrigerators with ice makers which have solenoids that control the water flow. They close instantaneously, causing the water to have to stop flowing abruptly.
Old 01-23-01, 10:10 AM
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Lake Murray, SC USA
Posts: 1,461
Lefty is right on target, and the solution is to install a pressure regulator to reduce the water pressure.
Old 01-24-01, 09:21 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Clanging pipes

Thank you all. I'll inform my mangement company of this.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes