Clanging pipes

Old 01-23-01, 09:34 AM
Visiting Guest
Plumbing experts,

I live in a condo on the 2nd floor. When the people in the unit above run the sink, dishwasher, washer machine and shower, I hear the water go thru the pipes. Several seconds later, the pipes start to clang/ping/bang (loudly sometimes). My management company has not address this issue yet because of other projects they have. What is the problem? Is it air in the pipes, unable to contract or expand or just faulty construction? What can I do to relate to my management company to fix it? I do not know what material the pipes are. I appreciate anyone's help.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-01, 09:51 AM
It's probably not air in the pipes -- that would work itself out. More than likely it is too much water pressure that is the problem. If it is let go for too long of a time, it could loosen the straps and anchors that are holding the pipes, making it more difficult to fix. This usually is first noticed around appliances like washing machines, dishwashers, and refrigerators with ice makers which have solenoids that control the water flow. They close instantaneously, causing the water to have to stop flowing abruptly.

Old 01-23-01, 10:10 AM
Lefty is right on target, and the solution is to install a pressure regulator to reduce the water pressure.

Old 01-24-01, 09:21 AM
Visiting Guest
Clanging pipes

Thank you all. I'll inform my mangement company of this.