Putting a Tee in a black natural gas line

Old 09-03-12, 09:23 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Putting a Tee in a black natural gas line

I'm new to the forum and new to gas in the house. I just had a gas furnace installed. As my appliances need replacement I plan on replaceing them with gas models, now they are electric. I've worked with a plumber installing plastic, copper and gas lines in new construction so installing pipe is not the problem. Also I'm a retired GM electrician.
Now my question? When they installed the furnance they used 1" pipe from the meter to the furnance, a 15 ft run. 8ft from the meter they put a 1" tee for future use and another 1" tee at the furnance also. The water heater will most likely be replaced first and I would like to put a tankless unit in. The tankless unit will be 26ft from the tee or 38ft from the meter. With the tankless unit, furnance and future stove, fireplace and dryer, after checking charts, the 1" line will most likely be undersized. From what I've been reading it's all about volumne. Can I increase the size of the pipe at the tee, 8ft from the meter, to 1 1/4" it increase the volumne or do I have to go back to the meter? Thanks

Old 09-03-12, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Whats the distance of the furthest gas applince you will have from the meter?

Currenty @ 15 ft of 1 inch you can supply 570k btu's. I dont think you will need more then that. But we need to know what the farthest appliance will be.

Old 09-03-12, 11:21 AM
S
The furthest gas appliance will be the dryer at 42 ft.

Old 09-03-12, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator
For giggles lets say 50ft to be safe.

@ 50ft for the longest appliance you can supply 285k btu.

Add up all your appliances. Whats the total btu?

Note: @ 40 ft total is 320k btu

Old 09-03-12, 11:45 AM
S
Right now the only thing I have is the furnace 90K. The hot water heater will be next and tankless is about 180K. I don't have any other appliances yet but I only want to do this once. Future appliances are stove, fireplace, dryer and maybe a outside grill.

Old 09-03-12, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator
The hot water heater will be next and tankless is about 180K.
What is the reason you want a tankless?

You could always run a home run from the meter to the tankless if you wanted too. This way you dont have to change the 1" pipe.

Do a search on tank-less. They are not all that good IMO. They do have their place though. Large family's needing back to back showers in the mornings, or if space is a factor.

Other then that they are more trouble then good.

Old 09-03-12, 12:11 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
I agree! Research tankless before you go that route! They are more trouble than worth.

Old 09-03-12, 12:53 PM
S
I'll check out the tankless and it might save me a lot of work. The reason for the tankless is it seems easier to vent it then the tank units. I have no chineny to vent the exhaust since the one I have now is electric. If I get a tank unit I'll need one with a blower. The tankless needs to be vented also but some units can be vented with PVC and that seems easier to do. I guess it has its good and bad. What are some of the problems with tankless units? I know someone with one and he loves it. I'm always open for suggestions.

Old 09-03-12, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator
You should consider taking out a permit for your gas work also. It would be for your protection, in that its all leak tested, and sized correctly.

I am not sure if beechwood has its own inspectors. Although beechwood has its own post office, which always amazed me. Possibly Toms River or Bayville?

The inspectors are pretty good there. I know a few of them.

Old 09-03-12, 03:35 PM
S
We have inspectors that come in from the State and I've met them before. Never had any trouble with any of them. Thank for you help.

Old 09-03-12, 04:28 PM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Don't they make side vent tank models? I would think so. Tankless water heaters require a ton of BTUs to make that hot water. That could create a problem with supplying enough gas to everything you get put in. Look at your meter to see what the maximum it can supply as well. A tankless and that furnace may put you at the max for the current meter.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: