Not enough hot water to shower

Old 01-24-01, 08:09 AM
Visiting Guest
Plumbing experts,

I live in a condominium on the 2nd floor. The shower in my bathroom does not get enough hot water. The water is warm but never really hot. However, if I use either the sink in the bathroom or kitchen before or immediately after the shower, the water can be extremely hot. Also, when I run a bath, the water never gets really hot but both sinks do. What is the problem and how can I fix it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-01, 08:12 AM
What type of valve is in the shower?

Single or more then one handle?

Old 01-24-01, 08:35 AM
Visiting Guest
Handle

It is a single handle that rests at a 6 o'clock position. The cold water is turned by moving the handle to the 2 o'clock position(max) and the hot water to the 9 o'clock position(max). Let me know if you need anymore information.

Thanks

Old 01-24-01, 08:47 AM
Sounds like a Moen Posi-Temp Valve, does it look like this one?

Old 01-24-01, 08:56 AM
Visiting Guest
Handle

I would say it looks like that. The handle on mine actually extends out and down a good 5 inches.

Thanks,
Craig

Old 01-24-01, 09:03 AM
I think the cartiage is not working correctly, you will need to shut the water off and replace the cartiage inside of it.

Go to this link and see how this valve comes apart, if this is the valve, pull the cartiage and take it to Home Depot, get one just like it.

Adobe Acrobat Reader 4.05 is needed to view this link.

http://www.moen.com/hidden/pdf/2343pt.pdf

Old 01-24-01, 09:20 AM
Visiting Guest
Handle

Thank you. I'll give this a try.

Old 01-25-01, 02:07 AM
Visiting Guest
I am having the same problem Craigg has, with the shower faucet in the duplex I am renting. I'm told the fixture/plumbing dates to the fifties or so. My landlord has tried at least 3 times to fix it, but he is blind and getting on in years, and I am getting frustrated with his failed attempts. The fixture you've shown for Craigg does not look like the one in my shower. When off, the handle extends out to 9 o'clock. The first little turn of the handle will get me cold/cool water. After that, it's only warm, no matter how far I open the valve. 2 months ago, I could'nt get the water cooled down enough, and now, it's the opposite. Any advice you can give that I can suggest to my landlord (except for hiring a plumber, which I've pleaded for numerous times already) will be tremendously appreciated...(By the way, I forgot to mention, it's a tub/shower combo)
Thanks, Pam

Old 01-25-01, 08:00 AM
What ever brand the valve is, the cartiage need replaced.

If you know what the brand is, please let me know, I will look for the break down on it.

Old 01-25-01, 12:23 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks...it's a Kohler U.S.A. (Niedecken pat'd).

Old 01-25-01, 08:27 PM
I need you to click on this link and see if any of these valves look like your, let me know.

http://www2.kohlerco.com/plumbing/ba...&AC=All&CC=All