Move a propane heater

Old 09-04-12, 03:26 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Move a propane heater

I have a 1950's bi-level house in Lincoln County Colorado. You enter the house at ground level and go up 6 steps to the upper level or go down 9 steps to the lower level. The roof is 45 degree pitch and goes down to about three feet above the ground. There is a five feet by five feet triangular dead space along each side of the upper level. The propane line enters this space. The propane tank is 550 gallons. The three propane appliances are a 28,000 BTU blue flame heater hanging on a wall in the lower level. It is fed by 3/8 inch copper tubing. There is another 28,000 BTU blue flame heater and a 32,000 BTU water heater in the upper level, both fed by 3/8 inch copper tubing. Both upper level appliances are adjacent to the dead space.

I am installing a kitchen in the upper level and need to move the 28,000 BTU heater about 8 feet away from the dead space. The line will run eight feet in a wall perpendicular to the dead space and then two feet in a wall parallel to the dead space. Can I run copper tubing in these walls or should I use black pipe?

Old 09-04-12, 03:00 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I'm not sure of the code but I vote for the black pipe.

Old 09-04-12, 03:33 PM
H
There is 1/2 inch copper tubing from the tank to the dead space. It then reduces to 3/8 inch copper tubing. The 3/8 inch tubing runs to the first T which feeds the upper level heater. The tubing continues to a second T which feeds the water heater. The tubing then goes down inside a wall where it terinates at the lower level heater. The first T had a shutoff valve in the dead space. I shut the valve off and unhooked the tubing that fed the upper level heater. I tested it with soapy water to make sure it was shut off. I will put a cap on it also.

Here is my plan. I will run 1/2 inch black pipe from the dead space to the upper level heater in its new location. I will T off of it to feed the water heater. I will use the water heater tubing to feed the black pipe.

Do you see any problems with the plan?

Old 09-04-12, 06:55 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Once again, as long as the transition from the copper to the black pipe meets code, you should be ok. I would certainly ask a plumber or in a plumbing supply.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: