Bathtub Overflow

Old 01-24-01, 11:53 AM
Visiting Guest
Angry

I want to replace the water overflow mechanism on my bathtub. The tub is from 1936 and only has a drain over hole in bottom of tub. It is not a pop up. Took the old one out only to find out that the bottom part of it has broken off and is still in the pipe - maybe. Is there an easy way to fix this?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-01, 12:08 PM
Looking at these two pictures can you explain what you mean by broken? What is is that is broken?

Old 01-24-01, 01:13 PM
Visiting Guest
On the back of the tub is a circular piece of metal that is held in by two screws. I took that off. There is a lever on it that goes up and down. When in the up position it goes down and in the down position it goes up. Attached to the back is two pieces of metal/wire with eyelets on both ends. The first one that is attached to lever is whole the second one is broken off halfway down. Is it safe to assume that this is a basket type? If so, I went out and got a new one and put it in and attached it. It does nothing doesn't even slow the drain. Do they come in different sizes? Looked behind the tub and there is a pipe coming from the circular metal piece on the tub, down the tub and attached to drain. So, it looks like the first on but the it also looks like the top of the second one. I thought the old piece might be stuck in there but if that was true the tub wouldn't drain, correct? So I'm wondering - is the basket to small or is it a different type of system and I don't know it?

Thanks!!!!!