radiator

Old 01-24-01, 12:34 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

I recently put in a new boiler, but is having difficulty with loud banging pipes, each time I bleed the radiator I fill up two buckets of dirty water. I also bleed the boiler itself the water glass stays dirty. I have had plumber come in and adjust the water feeder which feeds constantly. I also replaced the return line. My house is about 70 years old and appears to be in good condition all the pipes appears to be in good condition what should I do now.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-01, 12:58 PM
Is it a steam or hot water system? Surprised they did not drain and flush all of the radiators when they installed the new boiler.

Old 01-24-01, 04:22 PM
Visiting Guest
radiator

The system is steam and this is the second winter that it is being used can there still be that much water remaining in it to cause the continous banging.

Old 01-25-01, 10:09 AM
The noise is because live steam is hitting condensate (water). This indicates one or more bad steam traps. You probably have steam traps on each register. They are intended to open when condensate hits them (to allow the condensate to return to the boiler), and close when the condensate has emptied, and steam is present.

You may be able to tell the most likely steam traps to replace by either the register with the most noise, or feeling the condensate return piping on the register side of the trap. If the piping is not really hot, it means condensate is sitting in the pipe, and the trap is not opening.

The two most common types of steam trap are the inverted bucket trap

and the thermal disc trap

Either of these work pretty good.

If you try to replace the bad traps yourself, make sure you shut off the heating system and allow it to cool - steam and hot water both cause serious burns. It might be best left to a professional.