cpvc pvc

Old 09-12-12, 07:58 AM
P
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
cpvc pvc

Hello
I have both pvc and cpvc running through the house. To keep on hand in case of repair should I get pvc or cpvc? Which is more forgiving and all purpose for hot and cold? I have some old cement and primer but besides nbeing in a tight can I have them sealed in a zip lock air tight.
Which goes with everything so if there was a leak I could cement pieces together or use compression fittings? My age/health prohibits to much reaching so I am looking for the least hurtful way?
I could get a shark but they are so expensive. It seems hard to meausure them too.
Thanx alot

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-12, 08:17 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
CPVC can be used to replace PVC so I would keep extra CPVC on hand if you desire to maintain an inventory.

I use cement and a saw as my PVC joining and unjoining tools.

Old 09-12-12, 10:46 AM
P
May I ask if cpvc is the better of the two with both hot and cold water and is more flexible.
The guys who ran these lines made them to look like snakes but have been like this for 28 years.
Can compression fittings be used if done properly?

Old 09-12-12, 10:56 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
CPVC is required for hot water and, depending on the jurisdiction, is sometimes required for cold, though it sounds like it is not in your area.

Sorry, no experience with compression fittings on PVC.

Old 09-12-12, 12:14 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
In my area, CPVC is to be used for water. PVC is used for drains only. My whole house is CPVC except drains that are PVC.

Old 09-12-12, 01:19 PM
P
pipes

I will get some cpvc fittings and pipe for that day you need it.
Thank you all.

Old 09-12-12, 01:36 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
CPVC fittings are a different size. Best to keep both since a special fitting is needed to connect PVC to CPVC. If that special fitting exists I haven't found it. a I have used a MPT/PVC adapter screwed into a FMT/CPVC adaptor to connect PVC to CPVC but that may not be code.

You can answer your own question by comparing a piece of 1/2' CPVC to a piece of 1/2" PVC. The 1/2" PVC is noticeably larger.

Old 09-12-12, 02:38 PM
P
pipes

Thank you for that.
Basically I will acquire as the job demands but have a little bit on hand. I will work with all of one type like cpvc with cpvc and pvc with pvc.
I have cement that says it is for both.
If I have to join dissimilar pipes i will be back for help. I have seen different fittings at the big box which can transition.
I knew there was a difference in sizes and found out the hard way.
The shark is great but sooo expensive.
I just re read your post and wonder what to do if cpvc meets pvc. Maybe shark has it.

Old 09-12-12, 04:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Sharkbites don't fit PVC. CPVC and PVC can't be joined via glue joint to each other. OD's are different. Best is to install say a PVC female threaded adapter and a CPVC male threaded adapter and a union on either side in order to join the two dissimilar pipes. Both female and male threaded adapters are IPF.

Old 09-12-12, 05:10 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
Honestly, the best thing you can do if you are that concerned is to pick up a few Dresser couplings in the sizes to fit the pipes in your home.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3336[/ATTACH]
(Image courtesy of Buy.Com)

Attached Images  
Old 09-13-12, 06:09 AM
P
shark

A few years ago a plumber joined a copper pipe from the hot water tank with the ?cpvc or pvc pipe leading to the tank with a shark.
That is where I got the idea for the shark.

I would use a transition fitting to join dissimilar size pipes.

Thank you for the picture of the compression fitting. I do not know if it could be used with a run of pipe that is attached to a joist because it would not be even -does it matter with cpvc for example?

Last edited by peterr; 09-13-12 at 06:11 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 09-13-12, 11:15 AM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
The Dresser couplings allow a lot of leeway but the closer the alignment the better.