Leaking kitchen faucet

Old 09-23-12, 11:20 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Leaking kitchen faucet

Moen kitchen faucet. Probably put in when the house was built 20 years ago. Have all water turned off under the sink but there's a drip still, I assume it's because the water is still clearing. That's beside the point right now as that has never dripped. The main problem is the leak at the seam where the arrow is in the picture. I assume there's a seal or ring there that has gone bad. It somehow manages to leak back through under the sink as well and I have a bowl there to catch the runoff.

My main concerns:

1. Do I need to turn off more water than just the 3 valves under the sink to make sure I don't have an explosion of some sort?

2. Am I right assuming all I have to do is unscrew the connection on the underside of the faucet to pull this apart or am I looking at full sink removal? Or is there an easy way to pop that thing off

3. Should I just bag the idea of fixing it and buy a new faucet?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-12, 03:42 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If the valves under the sink are good, you shouldn't have to shut the main. However, you said it was still dripping. I would replace the faucet & be done with it. Many new faucets have Pex lines now. Just make sure that you have all the right connectors & a faucet wrench.

Old 09-24-12, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 51 Posts
That cap should simply unscrew. Then the spout should pull off to expose two O rings. They probably need to be replaced.

Old 09-24-12, 08:15 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 526 Votes on 483 Posts
Like Lawrosa mentioned. If you can unscrew that cap it's probably just two O rings. Grab the cap and unscrew it by hand. If it won't budge you may need to put a rag over the cap and grab it with a pair of channel locks or pipe wrench. Take the old O rings with you to the store to find replacements. They may be available as part of a kit or sold just as O rings which would probably be cheaper. I like to coat them with a thin film of petroleum jelly when reassembling. It helps everything slide back together more easily.

Old 09-24-12, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 51 Posts
I like to coat them with a thin film of petroleum jelly when reassembling.

Note: Petroleum jelly will cause the O rings to fail prematurely. Use a O ring lubricant or plumbers grease only.