Leaking shower faucet stem from inside valve

Old 10-01-12, 02:42 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Leaking shower faucet stem from inside valve

What I thought would be a simple fix has gotten out of control for me. I attempted to replace a broken plastic knob on my shower hot water control and was unable to get the right fit. Went to local plumbing supply and they advised bringing in the valve stem for a match. Found an American Standard knob set to match the stems but when reinstalling the stems I now have significant leaks from what appears to be the inside of both valves. For example when I turn on the hot water valve water leaks from both valves at the same time regardless if the cold is open or closed. I took the valves back to the plumbing supply and they kindly replaced the internal bushings and washers on the end of the valves but when I replaced them the same problem ocurred with the same symptoms. The valves do not leak in the off position. I do not have access to the valve seat as it is behind a small hole in the tile. I honestly didn't think anything was wrong with the valves in the first place as they did not leak before I removed them. I have tightened the valves back in place until they are as tight as possible with one pipe wrench but have read not to over-tighten so did not use a cheater bar for fear I might not be able to get them off again or may do further damage. Any advice would be most appreciated.

Old 10-01-12, 02:47 PM
D
Is it 180 degrees out of line

It may be on reassemble you put the assembly 180 degrees out of line.

Old 10-01-12, 03:49 PM
M
Me Stupid

It turns out that the nuts used to compress the bushing came off inside the eschcheons (trimpieces) and I had a flash memory of the guy in the plumber supply telling me there was a piece I didn't bring. I took the nuts from the eschucheons and screwed them down onto the valve stem and voila my problem is solved. I have no more leaks and now I just need to find American Standard knobs that actually are long enough as the ones they sold me still have about an inch gap to the plate. I am satisfied to have a functioning shower/tub for now and thank you for your response. I am done!

Old 10-04-12, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
Sounds like the packing nut was leaking. Screwing the handle threaded piece will just mask it. It should be dripping behind the handle now.

Well that's just what I go out from reading this post.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: