1/2 supply to water heater and 3/4 exit, water heater banging loudly.

Old 10-23-12, 10:49 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1/2 supply to water heater and 3/4 exit, water heater banging loudly.

Hello:

I have an old 2 bedroom 1 bath house built in 1947. I am on a well and septic and the water pump is set at 50psi. There is a 3/4" in line supplying the house but it immediately switches to 1/2" for the entire house except for the line exiting the propane water heater which is 3/4" of an inch. It has been a couple of years since I have been under the house but I imagine that it just turns into 1/2 again to supply the bathroom and kitchen.

In the last couple of weeks I have been hearing a banging noise coming from the water heater, it's loud enough to wake you up. The noise does not seem to have anything to do with flow like you would have with (water hammer). It seems to happen randomly, not every time the heater turns on and off.

I want to give you a little back story. I replaced the water heater 2 years ago when the old one started leaking and I believe there could be two things happening.

First:
The new water heater is about a foot shorter and a little wider. The water heater comes with 3/4 supply and exits, so I have to find a way of attaching the 1/2" line I have to the heater. No problem, I already had an 18" long 3/4" flexible line laying around. This solved my problem of having to get a foot of 1/2 copper to connect to the new water heater. I just used a reducer and attached it. So now I have a supply to the water heater that is mostly 1/2" except for the last 18" which is 3/4" pipe. Which looks like it has a kink in it, so it may be restricting it in a weird way, i didn't notice the kink until the noise started. Could this be causing a loud popping noise? should I just go and get rid of the flexible 3/4" and replace so that all the supply is 1/2"? Could this be causing water hammer? Is it ok to have a complete 1/2" supply and 3/4" exit?

Second:
For about a couple months last year my water softener broke and was supplying the house and hot water heater with just well water. High iron and high other mineral stuff. Could this have built up and started to cause a problem a year later? I have flushed the water heater several times including yesterday it hopes to clean it out, but the noise has not stopped.

The problem seams to have just started even though my piss poor plumbing job is about two years old. could this be causing the banging noise? what else should I look for?

I know this is house isn't up to code. I am buying an outdoor tankless water heater in the spring and will be changing out the plumbing to support a second bathroom. It will be to code then. In the mean time I need to solve this problem, I don't want to come home to a burst pipe spraying water everywhere. Suggestions?

Old 10-23-12, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
If its a new issue with regards of the banging and did not happen before I would say sediment. The HWH is a vessel and captures all minerals that come out of the well.

With that said the softener probably provided some kind of filtration.

To flush the heater properly a full port drain valve is needed. Cant drain with those small factory stops.

Additionally you need to describe the banging.
Is it when water is running or faucets turned on and off?
Is it random times throughout the day/night?
Is it more of a stutter? ( Would mean loose washer in valve)

Let us know.

Old 10-24-12, 08:36 AM
J
It seems to be random water isn't being turned on or off. I have sat there watching this water heater hoping to see it happen but it is so random. does not seem to matter if the heater is on or off. I don't know when it happens but I think it happens both when the heater is on and off.

I am leaning more towards sediment because this di just start to happen.

The noise is a da-DA or da-da-DA

What is a good way to remove the sediment?

Old 10-26-12, 07:11 AM
J
Whats the best way to clean the water heater out? I have tried flushing.

Old 10-26-12, 09:05 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
If flushing does not work to remove sediment, it has likely hardened and will not come out, the heater would need to be replaced.

Flushing should be done on a regular basis (like semi-annually) to prevent this.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: