Can someone tell me why my pipes are banging

Old 10-25-12, 11:22 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can someone tell me why my pipes are banging

Hi everybody,

We just had a new washing machine installed about a month ago. Now every time it is between its cycle the water pipes in the basement begin banging.

This never happened with our other washing machine. Home Depot installed this and I was not home at the time(my wife was).

The only time the pipes bang is when the washing machine is filling up or rinsing.

Now one other time I had pipes banging up in my 2nd floor bathroom and a local plumber told me that some part must be broken on the vanity faucett. Here it ended up that all it was,was the hot water shutoff was not opened all the way on the vanity.

I have no clue here on this one,all I know is that the black rubber supply lines that were on the old washing machine were switched with stainless steel ones,Recommended by Home Depot.

Any Ideas???

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-12, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
Water hammer is a surge of pressure resulting when flowing is forced to stop or change direction suddenly. Water hammer commonly occurs when a valve is closed suddenly at an end of a pipeline system. This is also known as hydraulic shock. This pressure wave can cause major problems, from noise and vibration to pipe collapse. A Water Hammer Arrestor can be installed in the piping system which will absorb the shock, stop the banging, and prevent pipe damage.

Install two of these.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4725[/ATTACH]

0269508 - Watts 0269508 - 150A-HA, 3/4" Water Hammer Arrestor

data from pex supply.com

Attached Images