How can I fix this? (leaking/rusted pipe problem)

Old 10-30-12, 01:37 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How can I fix this? (leaking/rusted pipe problem)

Hi guys,
I noticed today that underneath my kitchen sink water has been leaking. It's been going on for awhile but I always thought that it was my dog (who drinks a lot of water) was just spilling it on the floor.
Anyway, I checked today and the pvc pipe that is under the sink connects to a cast iron (I think?) style pipe in the wall. The iron pipe seems to have rusted a little on the bottom side at the connecting point and that's where the water is coming from. I'll put some pictures to show but it might be difficult to see completely cause I can't get the camera under there good (it's really tight spaced). Name:  DSCN1543.jpg
Views: 4562
Size:  30.4 KBName:  DSCN1544.jpg
Views: 4790
Size:  23.7 KB

I have very limited knowledge of plumbing and I don't think I'm ready to tear the wall out and replace the cast iron pipe, what can I do to stop this, even if it's just temporary? The ridges on the cast iron pipe looks like I can screw more of the pvc pipe in there but I havn't tried it. Can you buy bigger pipe connectors or put some putty on there to fix it? I heard you can saw the pipe off but it doesn't look like I will be able to because it goes into the wall. What's the best course of action in your opinion?
Sorry for the beginner questions, just a little freaked out. THANKS!

Last edited by guitar; 10-30-12 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10-30-12, 04:33 PM
W
Received 12 Votes on 10 Posts
Hi, I had a similar problem. As I look at it I would presume you have a 1 1/2 Treaded steel pipe nipple that will ultimately hook to a 1 1/2 P Trap.
I would remove the threaded plastic pipe from the system. They make rubber adapters like hubless connectors. Measure the outside of the steel nipple and the last section of the P Trap. Go the a store and get the adapter that will fit both ends then install the adapter over the steel Nipple and put the end of the P trap Inside of the adapter.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 10-30-12, 05:44 PM
G
Thanks for the reply. I just thought I'd upload a couple of more pics just in case it's needed? The plastic pvc pipes do connect to a (as you mention but I didn't know it was called) steel nipple that goes into the wall (the part that's rusted). Behind the wall then that steel pipe connects to the "drain" pipe I guess it's called? The bowed one that goes into the ground (cast iron)? Name:  DSCN1546.jpg
Views: 6095
Size:  39.5 KBName:  DSCN1549.jpg
Views: 4586
Size:  25.0 KBName:  DSCN1547.jpg
Views: 4193
Size:  35.2 KBName:  DSCN1548.jpg
Views: 5083
Size:  39.3 KB

I was wondering if I should take out that whole steel nipple pipe/part from the cast iron (?) pipe in the wall that drains the water down? It *looks* like it's been screwed in there as I think I can see threads, but at the same time I don't want to break anything if it's rusted/difficult to get out/turn? If I install an adapter *over* the steel nipple otherwise, won't it leak?

Old 11-04-12, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
I would turn that Y and female adapter off that threaded nipple coming out of the wall. Then re dope it and put it back together.

That is if that is where the leak is.

Is the leak from the threaded steel nipple and PVC?

Old 11-10-12, 08:50 AM
G
Yes, the leak is from the steel pipe right by the wall, going into the pvc. It's a rusted hole.
I am having to buy a jigsaw first to get to it though, because apparently the wall is plaster and I can't get a regular or smaller saw in there to get around the pipe. Gonna try and do it this weekend, and then we'll see if I can get the pipe loose.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: