Water backed up in bathroom, toilet and tub bubbling, and water siphoning

Old 11-01-12, 04:52 PM
Water backed up in bathroom, toilet and tub bubbling, and water siphoning

I've seen posts relating to this but I wanted to start fresh due to the troubleshooting we have done as a result of the previously mentioned posts.

A little history: On vary rare occasions (like 3 or 4 times a year) while draining my tub the toilet would bubble. We had the vent pipe cleaned and had a vented cap placed to avoid a critter graveyard which seemed to help

Fast forward to this morning. While standing in my bathroom, I heard the washing machine drain. As it did so, my toilet and tub gurgled and water started coming up from the drain and bowl. The water eventually, slowly drained. We discovered some water had come up the drain pipe for the kitchen sink as well (kitchen is being remodeled so not hooked up - rag in drain pipe and kitchen is not vented).
We ended up removing the toilet since the manual auger would not snake through (and the water came up over the wax ring and onto the floor so that had to be cleaned up). My husband eventually found a clog and broke through. The water in the toilet drain cleared out and after testing the tub and washing machine seemed to solve the issue. Hooked everything back up and ran washer again. 1st time no problem, 2nd load.... bathroom backed up again. Now the tub/toilet are bubbling and the toilet water keeps getting siphoned out. We went onto the roof and ran the auger through 3 vents and nothing seemed to block the line. We are perplexed. To add to the confusion, the other bathroom closer to the main drain isn't having any issues at all.
Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-12, 06:04 PM
Go our answer!

I'm posting this because I thought it would be helpful for others to see.

I was in denial when reading other threads about roots in the drainage pipes. Serious denial. It wouldn't happen to us, right? Not with 5 trees in our less than 1/4 acre lot - ha ha ha. I mean the house is only 75 years old

So, B.I.L. came over and opened the trap in the excessively small crawl space. Electric eel was rented (again) and this time we found roots and worms. Done. Boo. (But yea for an answer!)

Luckily, he has a vacuum excavator and installs field tile for a living. Fingers crossed that we can get the machinery in the fenced in yard and that we only have a small section to replace.

Hey, a girl can dream!

Old 11-02-12, 03:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds to me that there is a plug in the drain pipes down line in the system. Doing 1 load of laundry is not enough to fill up all the pipes, but the second load fills the pipes and it exits at the next available outlet - toilet and tub. Sounds like you already have the rooter man coming out. Should take care of the problem.

Old 11-02-12, 07:05 AM
Group Moderator
Just keep in mind clearing the roots is going to be an ongoing task, likely will have to do this every year.

Old 11-04-12, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator
If you do determine roots use root X. ( Look it up)

Old 11-06-12, 05:46 AM
Yeah for drainage!

They found a large section of roots, broken tile, and a large clog. Broke it free, rooted the pipe, and replaced a large section of tile. Thanks for the extra tips, we are going to hardware store tonight and we will look for the root x. So glad to be able to take a shower, flush the toilet, and do laundry. All at the same time if I want!

Old 11-06-12, 06:38 AM
Super Moderator
Here is the link to the root x site.

RootX is the simple, effective and proven solution for sewer root control

You may need to buy from your local plumber.

If you had the work done by a plumber I am surprised they did not offer this to you. They would be doing you an injustice IMO.

Input zip here to find someone local in your area.

RootX : About

Old 11-30-12, 05:20 PM
Another curiosity....

So, the pipes are draining super. I plan to get the RootX from a local plumber and use it 6-8 weeks from the time the roots have been removed (according to Rootx website).

Anyway, I can run water in my tub and sink but when I drain the tub or recently emptied a pot of water I was using while doing the dishes in the tub (still remodeling kitchen) the toilet bubbles. Again, it doesn't do this when water is running from a faucet into the sink or tub, but when they are drained from a larger bolus if you will. Does that make sense? Anyway, any thoughts on the bubbles? The toilet water level doesn't seem to be going down when this is happening like it did before the roots and clog where found.

BTW, my brother in law did the drain work since he works on field tile and had the equipment and know-how. He just doesn't have the root killer (but thanks for looking out for me lawrosa :-)

Old 11-30-12, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator
Bubbles in toilet means the line is clogged. Thats the 2" vent for the toilet that the tub and basin dump into.

Need to snake those lines IMO.

The main and roots was a separate issue......IMO

Old 12-03-12, 05:51 AM
I will need to bring in a plumber then. We snaked everything in this bathroom including the vent (which now has a vented cover to block animals, leaves, etc.) This am, my bathtub just stopped draining. Then the toilet took a huge gulp of air and water.
I think you are right, we had multiple issues. I would just like this to end!

Thank you for all of your help! I really, really appreciate it!

Old 12-03-12, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator
Let us know the outcome....

Good luck.

Old 12-03-12, 12:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Did the relapse start after you put the vent cover on? It may be obstructing or limiting the amount of air getting into the vent line. It's not a Studor vent cap is it?