Removing or capping basement plumbing

Old 11-25-12, 02:55 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing or capping basement plumbing

I am about to start working on finishing my basement. We want to turn it into a large rec room, but there is plumbing for a basement bathroom set up right in the middle of the room and we want to remove it or just finish over it. How do I verify the piping isnít needed and can just be cut and capped? The pipe comes from the ceiling and I would have to move the insulation to try and track where it is coming from, but I am pretty sure nothing runs through it. This is my first house so it will be my first shot at plumbing.I am about to start working on finishing my basement. We want to turn it into a large rec room, but there is plumbing for a basement bathroom set up right in the middle of the room and we want to remove it or just finish over it. How do I verify the piping isnít needed and can just be cut and capped? The pipe comes from the ceiling and I would have to move the insulation to try and track where it is coming from, but I am pretty sure nothing runs through it. This is my first house so it will be my first shot at plumbing. A picture is attached.
Name:  Basement Plumbing.jpeg
Views: 4550
Size:  31.5 KB

Old 11-25-12, 04:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,476 Votes on 1,364 Posts
You may have to move the insulation to check out the pipe that goes thru the ceiling. It looks like a vent pipe that was to be used for the basement plumbing. You may find it runs all the way to the attic.

You can cap the short stub of pipe but I'm not sure if the vent needs to remain. One of the regulars should be checking in. We'll get another opinion on it.

Old 11-25-12, 06:32 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Are you saying that the piping is there but there is no bathroom installed yet? The vertical pipe seems to be a vent pipe & can only be removed if the main drain is vented somewhere else. That's all I can see from the pic.

Old 11-26-12, 10:49 AM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
As long as the vent pipe ties into another vent you can cap it off. If it extends as a stand alone all the way to exiting the roof It will need to be removed completely. Vents are an open pipe that sticks out of the roof. Normally they are extensions of drains. If you cap it in the basement, it will eventually fill up with rain water. May or may not be an issue, but I certainly know that vents are not pressure tested for leaks like drains are. Any unglued or poorly glued fittings may cause water headaches down the road. On the bright side, you can always cap it on the roof.

Old 11-27-12, 06:01 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 188 Votes on 168 Posts
Yup, you'll have to break up a bit of concrete around the toilet drain (the larger pipe) to give you enough space to cut the pipe a few inches below the floor and cement on an ABS (black plastic) cap. Same with the 2" pipe out of the floor.

The vent pipe probably needs to be removed completely up to where it ties into another vent (possibly in the attic) or goes through the roof.

Are you certain you don't want a bathroom in the basement? Most people spend $1500-$3K to have the plumbing roughed in to a new house construction. Just be sure before you remove it all.

Old 11-28-12, 03:56 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I'll have to stand with Mike. I'd hate to cover up a potential bathroom and lose resale value on the modification to boot. Is there no way you could include the bathroom in your plans? Just a lot of wasted plumbing that could bring a ROI.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: