Sounds from tub drain when flushing toilet or running sink faucet

Old 11-26-12, 09:16 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sounds from tub drain when flushing toilet or running sink faucet

All,

This just became noticeable in the past couple of weeks, never heard even the slightest inkling of this before in the 8 years living in this house.
In the top floor master bathroom there is a garden tub that is virtually never used as there is also a standup shower stall next to it. Just recently I noted that when I flush the toilet in this bathroom or (to a lesser extend noise-wise) run the water in the sink of this bathroom I can hear strange echoing sounds of what appears to be gurgling coming from the drain of the bathtub. Just seems strange that I'm just now hearing this after 8 years and makes me think there is something not right about my plumbing... Any ideas as to why this might have started now and why we would have never heard it in the 8 prior years living in this house? Have not noted that this sound eminates from any other drain in any other room of the house.

Thanks, Bob

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-12, 10:09 AM
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
Add a little water to the garden tub and then drain. It sounds like the water in the trap has evaporated from lack of use. This breaks the seal to the rest of the drain system. The sound you hear is water running/echoing through the pipes. Let us know if this resolves the problem.

Old 11-26-12, 10:47 AM
S
Czizzi,

Ding Ding Ding! As soon as I read your post, it totally made sense and I'm almost ashamed I didn't think about the trap being dry. I ran some water in the tub and then did the toilet and sink thing and all is well. Thank you for your response fellow VA'er! Where abouts?

Bob

Old 11-26-12, 11:54 AM
Old 11-26-12, 01:25 PM
S
Se va

Czizzi,

That is a beautiful car, no doubt... I actually have some good pictures of it from 2001 when it was on display at the Peterson Automotive Museum in Los Angeles during Carroll Shelby Day. Eleanor is actually a 1967, not a 68. Mine is a 68 and I call her "The Other Woman"... Posted a small shot of her here...[ATTACH=CONFIG]6016[/ATTACH]
I used to live in SE VA back from 1984 thru 1997. I was over in the Greenbrier area of Chesapeake. Love that area, I used to spend a lot of time down there when I was employed... I'm up north of Culpeper now...

Bob

Attached Images  
Old 11-26-12, 02:48 PM
Culpeper, been through there twice. Understand there is only one way in and no ways out... What did you by some land and escape from the rat race?

Actually I'm on the Peninsula, but been to the Greenbrier area many times. My Flooring supplier was out there. Then they built a new branch on the Peninsula and I haven't been over there in a year or so.

Old 11-26-12, 05:51 PM
S
Czizzi,

When I moved back to the area from S. Cal back in 2004, I was originally desiring to move back to the Woodbridge area where I went to HS. Then I drove around the area and realized I didn't want to live someplace so congested. It used to be the sticks when I went to school there. So I figured that I'd look further west where it was a lot quieter and a lot cheaper...

Thanks again for you help on my pipe issue!

Bob

Old 10-20-13, 03:49 PM
M
Thanks so much for this post. We had almost the exact same situation, and your solution fixed it!