Add basement kitchen

Old 12-01-12, 11:10 AM
Y
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Add basement kitchen

There are water supplies in our basement near a wall but no drain for kitchen sink as shown in the photo:

basement | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

There is a 3" PVC drain pipe in the wall (center of the photo) near the water supplies . What is the proper way to tap the drain pipe for kitchen sink?

E.g., how can I add a 2" Tee to the ridged 3" PVC pipe when the 3" PVC pipe can't move up or down?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-12, 03:50 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
How far off the floor is that drain pipe? You should be able to connect a trap to it. There are reducer couplings available.

Old 12-01-12, 04:32 PM

You can easily ad a Tee-Wye fitting using a pair of Fernco type rubber couplings.

However....if this is a drain pipe being used by another fixture you may have a code issue.

Not sure what the exact rules are for wet venting....one of the Pros will "pipe" in.....

Old 12-01-12, 04:52 PM
Y
There is a kitchen above, I'm pretty sure the drain pipe is for the main floor kitchen (if I drill a hole on the drain pipe I'd know it). The main floor kitchen sink has an under sink air vent.

We're not the first owner, I'm not sure why the builder put the water supplies on basement wall but no drain. It's important to know if tapping the drain will violate code.

It seems Fernco type rubber couplings is good option if the drain pipe won't go up for couple of inches for inserting a PVC tee.

Old 12-01-12, 05:10 PM

"I'm not sure why the builder put the water supplies on basement wall but no drain"

It's possible there is a capped Tee already there.....boxed in and covered up.

Also.....if you put cabinets along that wall you will have to relocate those outlets.

Just curious.....why are there 3 water supply pipes?

Old 12-01-12, 05:37 PM
Y
You made good points. I'll need to remove a piece of dry wall to see if there is a capped Tee.
Those outlets will need to be moved up.
I have been wandering what is the 3rd open cpvc pipe since we moved in, I found a cpvc pipe in utility room has an open end. Near the same location outside of the wall there is a faucet but no water, so I suspect the cpvc pipe is for outside faucet which has never been hooked up on either end. I was thinking about putting compressed air or water to the opening in utility room to verify it.
We bought the house as is, there was no chance to contact seller for questions.

Old 12-01-12, 06:02 PM
Y
Mystery solved! I put my cell phone under the opening near floor and took some photos, after I downloaded the photos to my PC, I saw the hidden capped Tee! (photo in the following link)

tap | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Thank you Halton!

Old 12-01-12, 06:28 PM

Hard to tell but it almost looks like it might not even be capped.

I wouldn't be surprised.....boxing it in yet leaving the water pipes wasn't too bright.

Any history of an unexplained sewer or methane smell?

You'll find out soon enough since you have to open up the wall anyways.

Be aware....if you put in a full kitchen with stove.....you may bring in new code issues.

Old 12-02-12, 06:14 AM
Y
Halton, you're absolutely right!

I made a small opening on the wall and found the tee is open! see photo from the link below:

OpenDrain | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

As shown in the photo, I put a bicycle spoke all way into the opening. I removed the baseboard last week because my wife told me the bottom of the baseboard was rotten.

It's sad how some of the contractors and inspectors do and don't do their jobs. I found some other plumbing mistakes in the house.

I'm going to Home Depot today to get a cap to cap the open drain.

Thanks again.

Old 12-02-12, 07:11 AM

If I was me..........I would remove the drywall and open up the entire wall.

Who knows what other "surprises" are lurking behind there.

How was it insulated?....any mold?....vapor barrier?......etc. etc. etc.

You could build the entire wall out a little making it flush with the front of the drain pipe.

This would eliminate the bump-out.....making the cabinet installation go a lot easier.

You need to re-wire anyways....and you need to move or drill the stud(s) for the drain.

Also.....you likely won't even have enough room to cap the pipe for now.

You would need a short stub length of pipe and then a cap......but don't glue it.

Old 12-02-12, 05:12 PM
Y
Halton,

I did as you said, dry fit the 2" PVC pipes, elbow and cap as shown in the photo:

DrainCapped | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I had to cut a piece of 2x4 to access the open Tee.

We are going to have better sleep tonight.

The damage seems isolated to the area below the opening, we'll let it open while searching for treatment of mold.