PEX and a Shower Mixer Oh Boy!

Old 12-03-12, 11:22 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
PEX and a Shower Mixer Oh Boy!

So ever since we moved into our house the shower drips when the tub is running. After doing some investigating I found there is 1/2inch pex connected to all 4 ports on the mixer from what i've read 1/2in copper must be used to the tub spout to avoid this problem. I'm not sure the technical name for the type of mixer it has 4 ports; hot, cold, shower spout, and tub filler. Could I simply replace this 1/2in with 3/4in pex and the proper fittings to allow adequate volume to the tub filler?

I am wondering as replacing this with copper would involve me needing to pull out more drywall to sweat on the pipe.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-12, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
From what you explainytou should have plenty of water at the spout. I would lean more towards a cartridge issue.

Take pics of valve, spout and areas of concern and we can help better.

Old 12-03-12, 11:33 AM
L
I will try and get a picture of it tonight. One other thing that may come into play is i think he possibly reversed the hot and cold so that the shower spout is actually going to the tub spout and vice versa. I think this because the handle is installed pointing up! but the plate shows the correct orientation for H-C.

Old 12-03-12, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator
You can simply turn the handle around. But if he put it that way because of the reversal thing then I would think the cart is installed upside down.

But it depends on the valve make....

I will await the pics.....

Old 12-05-12, 10:13 AM
L
So I snapped these 2 pictures, If I need to do any work to this it looks like I'll have to cut some of the tile out or make the access panel on the opposite wall bigger. It looks like 3/4 or 1/2 inch threaded fittings attach to the mixer and the 1/2 pex is connected to those. I did flip the handle and it has improved the excess water coming out of the shower head when the tub spout is running (only when fully extended to 100% hot). Problem with the handel however now is it has 90degrees of rotation between 6 and 3 o'clock.

-cold is at 6 o'clock
-hot is at 3 o'clock
-but the H indicator is at 9 o'clock
-and the C indicator is at 3 o'clock

So the orientation still seems flipped. Is this something that can be caused by the cartridge? Hot is attached to the left side of the mixer in the picture and cold to the right side. I was unable to find any brand or model marking on any of the fixture parts so I have been unsuccessful finding any install or support manuals.

Old 12-05-12, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator
I would need to see the handle and face plate.....

Old 12-05-12, 10:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
The orientation is correct. You want to turn the handle CCW from cold to hot. While it is nice to have it match the insignia on the plate oft times that isn't the case, although there are adjustments in the cartridge that will allow for that. One problem I see is the flow control screw on the hot water side is partially closed. The slot in the screw should be lateral to allow for full flow. If you want to work on the cartridge, you can shut off the water to it by using these two screws in the vertical position. Then to reapply water, just turn the screws.

Old 12-05-12, 10:38 AM
L
thank you both for the quick replies, i can grab a picture tonight of the handle and plate. will the cartridge be rotated like 180 or 90 degrees? are they made in a way that there are multiple ways to install it? Thank you for the tip to shut the water off before the mixer.

Old 12-05-12, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator
As chandler stated those two shut offs to the left and right need to be opened all the way. Should be both slots in a horizontal position.

Unless its the type that turns in or out, but I doubt it since that was old stuff from what I remember.

Also the handle should start at 6 o clock in the off position. If you have the scald protector set at max the handle should turn to 9 0 clock for full hot.

If your only going to 3 o clock you would have no hot water IMO.

Scald control is that red plastic ring. Cant really see pic is too small and my eyes are old.

Somethings amiss.

Old 12-06-12, 06:24 AM
L
Here is a picture of the fixture. It is the type that the handle pivits in towards the wall to turn on and pulls out to turn off; it can rotate freely between 3 and 6 o'clock. In the picture the water would be cold if turned on and would get warmer rotating towards the "c"