Kitchen sink weird noise from faucet

Old 12-03-12, 02:06 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kitchen sink weird noise from faucet

My kitchen sink faucet is producing a weird noise, especially turned on full. At 1st I thought I had a clogged aerator. But I removed & cleaned and it still produced a weird noise. It did the same if I left the aerator off. I'm thinking I have air in either the hot or cold line. It produces the same noise if I just have either the hot or cold on indepentantly. The noise is quite annoying. Any ideas to should check for? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-12, 02:38 PM
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
Sorry if this is a duplicate, thought I posted a reply but it never showed up..

If you have a handheld wand sprayer attached to your sink, does it make the same noise when you use the sprayer?

Old 12-03-12, 02:51 PM
D
Yes, I have a hand sprayer. No, I don't have the noise. The faucet is a Price Pfister.

Old 12-03-12, 03:25 PM
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
I suspect that you are having cavitation issues. Air is getting into the system and it may be the link between the sprayer and the faucet. Get underneath and make sure all connections are tight and see if you can isolate where the noise is coming from. If it was air in the main lines, the noise would not have stopped when you hit the sprayer button.

Old 12-03-12, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Might try cycling the cutoff valves under the sink as well. Noise could be transmitted up the supply lines or through the cabinet. A bad washer or debris could cause a vibration.

The sprayer uses a lot less water than the spout (I think) so it would be like barely turning the spout on.

Matter of fact...maybe it's the diverter since it doesn't make the noise with the sprayer?? Not sure if PF uses what I'm accustomed to though.

Old 12-03-12, 04:06 PM
M
is it a thumping sound or a whistling noise?

Old 12-04-12, 12:41 PM
D
I wish there was a good adjective to describe it! I did take the faucet apart today for a closer inspection. I get a vibration through the whole faucet, valve housing and the long faucet spout. I now believe the valve is the problem. I am going to ask PF and ask for a new valve as they have a lifetime guarantee on all of their faucets. If I fail, I may be back with you. Thanks for listening.