New Kitchen Sink drain problem

Old 12-04-12, 05:38 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New Kitchen Sink drain problem

We just had new countertops installed and as part of the project we had an undermount sink installed for the first time. Additionally we had historically always had a double bowl sink, we now have a single bowl. Before changing anything the sink drained just fine with no noteworthy issues to mention (just an occasional clogging due to putting too much food down the disposal at one time). Now that we have the undermount design the sink does sit probably 2-3" lower, but with the removal of the split manifold for the double-bowl, the slope of the drain pipe seems to be equal-to if not more aggressive than it once was. No matter what I seem to change, the sink just wont drain like it should. It is very slow to drain. Simply washing your hands ends with water pooling in the sink.

I have cut a few of the pieces down so to make things route as direct as possible. I am confident there are no clogs. I have added an accordion joint to insure that I am maximizing the angle of the drain-pipe... But I still see a very very slow draining...

Is it possible that I have some sort of vacuum happening? I mean I had two sinks previously so one would create air to allow the other drain kind of logic???

Any ideas? here is a pic to show the current config.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-12, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
I do not see a issue with the angle/slope from your pics...

The rubber drain in new disposals sometimes restrict flow. Time will fix that.

Old 12-04-12, 05:54 PM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Sounds like a vent issue. When you had double bowls, the secondary bowl allowed air into the drain to allow for proper drainage. I see that you have a clean out plug just above where the drain enters the wall. Try taking the cap off and see if that changes anything. Watch closely and have the cap ready to reinstall. If there is a clog down stream. the water will flow out the clean out hole. If this helps, you may need to add a Studor vent to allow more air into the system.

Old 12-04-12, 06:02 PM
K
That is the issue!

Czizzi, you were correct... As soon as I removed that cap it started draining correctly immediately. So, in showing my lack of plumbing prowess, what is a Studor vent? Guess I can google that one... Thanks A ton for the help and quick feedback!!!

Old 12-04-12, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator
No way.... If there is a clean out there then the sink line is vented. You should not have this issue. Removing that clean out and then realizing that it works is only masking another or the real issue....

What it may be IDK... Need more info...

Just my opinion.

Last edited by lawrosa; 12-04-12 at 07:51 PM.
Old 12-04-12, 07:49 PM
K
Well...

lawrosa, I believe you might be right. You got me to thinking. I have never seen a vent pipe above this part of my kitchen. So I went up in the attic and sure enough - nada... I am guessing I should see a 1.5" PVC pipe right above my sink area in the kitchen, right? Nothing nowhere close to this area. The closest vent pipe I see is directly above one of our bathrooms and that is probably 20 feet or more away...

We built the house new 13 years ago and this problem is just now showing itself... CRAZY.

Old 12-04-12, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator
Even with the dual sink one side would drain and the other would not if you had an issue. Venting is more for trap siphon and has nothing more or less to do with flow.......

Look elsewhere.

Old 12-05-12, 05:57 AM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
I suppose that the previous set up may have had a studor vent attached unbeknownst (is that a word?) to the homeowner.