Argh- i ______ up!!! Help

Old 12-06-12, 06:27 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Argh- i ______ up!!! Help

Total oversight on my part- Kitchen cabinets are in and grante counters with sink are now installed. In installing the granite counter- they also installed a 9' deep "undermount" sink. When I went to eyeball the garbage disposal install I notice the outlet from the disposal is 2-3" lower than my drain. I cannot lower the drain at all since it comes in from the side wall and making it any lower would throw off the natural pitch out the main. I can buy another sink which is same dimensions but 7.5" deep but I don't think that helps me enough. Do they make any disposals where the outlet is less than 6" down???
I'm beside myself knowing I made this poor error and feel there is no way out.
HELP

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-12, 06:48 AM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
Do not us the elbow that comes with the disposal. Use a straight tail piece and LA trap. Should get you the height.

I do this often...LOL. Homeowners never think plumbing when updating their kitchens....

Old 12-06-12, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator
Its going to be a straight tail piece like this.

Then an LA trap like this. Start at the outlet in the wall and work your way to the tailpiece. You glue a small piece of pipe in the trap for the vertical. May even need to use a st ell.

Hope you understand...

Old 12-06-12, 07:08 AM
S
Thanks Mike- I hope it's enough... Do you want another plumbing job??

Old 12-06-12, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator
...................................................................................................

Attached Images  
Old 12-06-12, 07:38 AM
S
Thanks again- I think even with the straight line coming out- I might still be lower- If I can find a Garbage disposal with a higher outlet that might help- (I have yet to find one)- I can also install a shallower sink (I found the same sink that instead of 9" deep is 7.5")- Not sure how hard it is to swap out an undermount sink screwed to granite (looks like 4 screws)

Old 12-06-12, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator
In all honesty a GB is more trouble then good. It amazes me why anyone would want such a device. I say this because I can honestly say I ripped out more units then I have installed in my career.

Old 12-06-12, 08:48 AM
W
I agree with Mike. I'm not sure why anyone needs a garbage disposal. I owned one once and never used it. I also had some in some rentals that I owned and I ended up removing all of them. I got tired of jammed disposal complaints.

I know I wouldn't hestitate to elimate the disposal before I would replace the sink.

Old 12-06-12, 10:39 AM
Z
Received 10 Votes on 10 Posts
hi skinut -

I'm sure the guys will correct me if I mistaken, but I think it's highly recommended NOT to use a GB if you are on a septic system. Just thought I'd mention that in case you are on a septic, seems that would simplify your problem.

Good luck!!

Old 12-06-12, 11:05 AM
S
yea thanks- we are on city water-...... I would like to keep the GD but might have to lose it

Old 12-06-12, 12:15 PM
GDs are awful pieces of machinery. We used them in our old residential properties of300 units. eventually they were so problematic that as people started moving out we would remove the disposal so it wasn't included anymore.
I pulled two jammed ones out of the house we just bought and advise everyone to just not use one. scrape the plate into the trash lol.

Old 12-06-12, 03:07 PM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
Here is one more vote in favor of getting rid of the garbage grinder.

Old 12-06-12, 05:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 149 Votes on 133 Posts
And another one for getting rid of it. When my parents did a kitchen remodel back in the day they added a GD and they were on city water and sewer. They had nothing but problems with the sewer after that.