Shower Drain Question

Old 12-07-12, 12:35 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shower Drain Question

I was tiling my shower drain, and some mortar fell into the drain. I did not realize this, and left it sit for a month.

Is it possible for me to snake out the drain of the shower? Like a snake that can break up the mortar?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-12, 12:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Welcome to the forums! How much thinset are we talking about? Are you sure it is still there? Is/was there no water in the trap? Why didn't you flush it immediately? Curious. Thinset is tough....dried thinset is tougher. I don't know if a snake would help or not. Worth a try, though.

Old 12-07-12, 03:24 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 495 Votes on 455 Posts
If the mortar just plopped down in there a good flushing of water while running a snake through may break it free. If you have clogging problems and good modern plumbing you can use muratic acid to dissolve the cement in the mortar. Keep in mind that muratic acid is almost like tossing a nuke. It's available at most home centers but you do need to be extremely careful with the stuff and follow all the safety procedures. It's the strongest acid you can go out and buy but it will reliably remove cement.

Old 12-08-12, 10:27 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 85 Votes on 80 Posts
If it's just a small amount, I wouldn't worry about it. A 2" trap should be large enough to handle whatever typical shower volume you throw at it. You may run into some issues down the line with hair and gunk getting caught up in it, but I'd worry about that when it happens.

If it was just a few chunks of thinset, it's possible it didn't bond with the PVC and it'll flush through. If it did either bond with the PVC or is large enough that it won't pass through the trap on it's own, then you might need to start thinking about Pilot Dane's suggestion.

Is this on a slab? If worse comes to worse, can you replace the trap from below?