Basement bath rough in

Old 12-07-12, 05:20 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement bath rough in

when we built our home two years ago I had a three peice bathroom roughed in...we have not yet finished the basement but I am considering a wet bar in place of the bathroom. Can i cap off the toilet and shower drain and tile over those. Our home has three full baths upstairs and this bath would be in the corner of a finished space that is only 28 x 15. I know it does make sense to add the half bath for resale but we really don't need another bathroom.

we would only be creating an over flow area for people to watch tv and relax..or for the grandkids to have a place to watch some tv. we have downsized the footprint of the finished area and I feel this half bath would be sort of too much a part oif the room>??Name:  ashton_4.gif
Views: 6416
Size:  14.8 KB the space we are finishing is to the right of the basement steps basically below the lving room and dining room

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-12, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
Cant see or tell the basement layout by your pic.

Its wise to keep the bath...1/2 bath plus add the wet bar...

When and if people have refreshments they need a place to go... Great for the kids too.

But you can cap or what you want and plumb how you feel fit. As long as code is followed.

Old 12-08-12, 06:35 AM
M
thanks for reply..the area that we would finish would end uo being 27 x 15 space directly below the living area that is described as living room and dining room on first floor. I am encouraged to hear that capping it off is an option.

Old 12-08-12, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
Sure you can cap it.

I would just cap the tub/shower and keep the toilet and sink. Box that in and use a combination wye to plumb to a wet bar.

A half bath takes up minimal room.

But if not cap toilet, tub and tile cement over. Use the sink plumbing for the wet bar and make sure its vented.

Old 12-08-12, 07:48 AM
M
I know about small powder rooms!!at our old house we had a half bath off of our bedroom that was all of 3 by 5.!! this bath would have to be 7 foot wide to get past glass block window and would probably end up being 6 x 7..my problem is putting this in a space that is only 27 x 14 with a 9 x 4 landing area at base of steps. sort of stuck between not wanting to feel like i have a bathroom in corner of tv room and not wanting to open up the footprint of project and go over my budget. thanks for suggestions

Old 12-08-12, 10:17 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 84 Votes on 79 Posts
Just to throw in another opinion, I would try my best to include at least a half-bath in the basement. Adds to the value of the house and makes it easier when people are downstairs. I'm kicking myself for not installing a bath in my basement when I remodeled, which was left out because of all the concrete work that would have been needed. Ah well.

Again, just a suggestion - code-wise, no issues doing either.