Adding washing machine drain?

Old 12-09-12, 01:32 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding washing machine drain?

Hey everyone, I'm new here and will probably be posting around on this site a lot. My fiancee and I just bought our first house and have been in it about a week. It's a roughly 80 year old house.

The washer and dryer are set up to be in the basement of this house. Thing is, there is apparently no drain for the washer aside from the double basin sink installed nearby.

The drain from the sink (which, by the way, appears to have two traps installed end-to-end under it...not sure why) runs across the floor, behind where the washer and dryer sit, and down into the concrete floor. The previous owners also installed a dewatering system along the walls which also ties into this drain. I wanted to just tee into this drain, and install a vent (since the drain appears to be unvented as it sits), but of course the main pipe is only 1 1/2" PVC. What can I do? Is having the washer drain into the sink a way of getting around the 2" minimum drain pipe rule?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-12, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
What can I do? Is having the washer drain into the sink a way of getting around the 2" minimum drain pipe rule?
Yes you are fine. As far as venting, you will be opening a can of worms since you will need to get that vent above any other baths or fixtures on that stack.

If it works leave it IMO....

But you did post this for a reason so I will ask what is your specific issue , if any...?

Old 12-09-12, 01:58 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
If the drain is working, it has to be vented. Why do you think that it's not?

Old 12-09-12, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator
If the drain is working, it has to be vented. Why do you think that it's not?
A drain does not need to be vented to work.....

Old 12-09-12, 03:45 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
What are vents for, if not to assist in drainage? I guess I didn't understand the question.

Old 12-09-12, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator
Vents are to prevent traps from being siphoned out. Water will flow regardless. DWV plumbing is never a closed system. Water will flow and pull from somewhere. Venting prevents water from traps being pull out.

Old 12-09-12, 04:55 PM
W
Received 11 Votes on 9 Posts
Hi, I would suggest that you dump the water in the deep sink. It will hold the extra water the 1.5 line can't handle. When the washer moves on to the next cycle the sink will finish draining. I think you should put a metal fiber sock on the end of the hose to catch the lint.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 12-09-12, 06:00 PM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
I agree with Woodbutcher that draining to the laundry tub is the simplest solution.

However, I would like to see a picture of this double trap assembly. Double trapping is a code violation. I am also not so sure that dumping laundry waste into a dewatering sump is a very good idea depending on where the pump discharges.

Old 12-09-12, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator
not so sure that dumping laundry waste into a dewatering sump is a very good idea depending on where the pump discharges.
From his post it sounds like the sump is draining into the sewer... Thats what I got out of it.

Double trap? Hmmm. Grandfathered in...Hence my can of worms statement.

Old 12-09-12, 06:57 PM
F
From his post it sounds like the sump is draining into the sewer.
That's what I get, too. Dumping to the sanitary sewer is fine for the laundry waste but dumping groundwater to the sanitary is a big no where I live.

Old 12-09-12, 07:02 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 84 Votes on 79 Posts
The previous owners also installed a dewatering system along the walls which also ties into this drain. I wanted to just tee into this drain
Do you know if this drain goes into the septic/sewer system or does it drain into a dry well or outside somewhere? Usually, french drains and those type of groundwater drains drain to a lower part of the property away from the house. As far as I know, current code (in most places at least) don't allow the washer or laundry sinks to drain outside. So I'd maybe consider a pump or something similar instead.

Old 12-10-12, 04:09 AM
G
This particular dewatering system is inside the basement, and as far as I know it's tied into the sanitary sewer. I figured if it's tied into the drain from the basin sink, it must be, and when we bought the house the inspector didn't mention it. I really don't know.

Anyway wanted to post a couple pics for you guys...here's the crazy double trap:

The pipe under the sink is smaller than the main drain pipe...looks like maybe 1". Also, Woodbutcher's suggestion is probably a good idea about the fiber sock, because the drain on the side the washer drains into is full of lint and hair. Ugh.

For reference this is how the drain runs after it leaves the sink:

The sink is at the top and it goes into the floor near the bottom of the picture, and the wye at the bottom is where the dewatering system ties in.

Also ignore the dryer vent thing...this place has the dryer vented under the porch, which I figured was bad...but it seems that using one of these indoor lint traps is even worse since it fills the basement with hot humid air. Oh well.

Old 12-10-12, 11:03 AM
F
Not only is that double trap just plain wrong it is also what is called an S trap and as such it is prone to siphoning, which might be the reason the hack that installed it used two traps.

Honestly, if it were my house I'd rip it all out and start fresh. Too many things wrong to try to piecemeal.

Old 12-10-12, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator
Use a continuous waste for the double sinks. Then pipe with a single trap.

You will need to change both strainers.

That lint trap needs to be ridgid or semi ridgid pipe to code. That plastic foil promotes fires.

What is that 1" line into the sink waste for?

And where does that wye go near the dryer vent that back pitches?

Old 12-10-12, 01:04 PM
G
The continuous waste drain sounds like a good idea...the sink doesn't drain very well set up like it is right now.

Also, as I stated: ..."the wye at the bottom is where the dewatering system ties in."

Ripping everything out sounds like a bit much at the moment, especially since it goes into the concrete at 1 1/2"...

Old 12-10-12, 02:06 PM
F
Do whatever your little heart desires, you asked for opinions and I gave you mine.