Backflow preventation NJ

Old 12-14-12, 03:32 PM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Backflow preventation NJ

My question is - according to NJ or ASME codes what kind of backflow preventer is allowed for boiler operation? Is double check valve preventer is allowed?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-12, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
Is double check valve preventer is allowed?
Yes the watts 9D is a duel check valve and is acceptable under code from what I know. ( been a while since I read this section)

Although I can tell you this. Some municipality inspectors will not allow just this. They also require a swing check installed inline.

As stupid as it it may sound I have had to do this to please an inspector here in NJ so I would pass inspection. ( I will not state the town, but it was close to the water. Politically corrupt area IMP)

He passed with a added swing check... Uggg!!!

You cant fight city hall.

Old 12-15-12, 03:08 AM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
re

For sure backflow preventer must be together with check valve installed after BFP. I have already Watts LF007M1 installed. I replacing one of my boilers and my plumber said inspector may not accept double check valve BFP with new installation and they want see pressure vacuum breaker BFP. Looks like codes are not clear in this case. Right now I don't know my plumber want make more $$ or really something changed.

Old 12-15-12, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
Page 213 10.5.3

You would have to read the whole section because It will state the exception to the rule in the case if boilers.

My only point is some inspectors do not recognize the watts 9d as a duel check. I will have to find data on what you have installed.

The plumber should of put a 9d. Its standard practice.

New Jersey Plumbing Code