trenchless sewer line replacement - pipe bursting under concrete?

Old 12-14-12, 09:38 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
trenchless sewer line replacement - pipe bursting under concrete?

Had my sewer scoped by several companies and all agree that whole thing needs to be replaced - lots of offsets. For various reasons, trenching is not an option, so I'm trying to decide between pipe bursting or relining (epoxy in place). The tap to the city sewer is also messed up, so both methods would require a hole in the basement and middle of the street. I was leaning towards pipe bursting to get a brand new round pipe, but one of the companies recommended against it. They were worried that the 3" cast iron pipe below the basement concrete wasn't deep enough (11" down) and might crack with bursting. Another company isn't worried about that at all. Is that a concern? Is relining just as good an option?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-12, 11:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 825 Votes on 775 Posts
I thought that with pipe bursting it had to be a relatively straight run. You mention offsets.

Can you pull thru offsets ?

Old 12-15-12, 02:04 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The offsets are minor enough now that both trenchless methods would work. But there are a few offsets all along the length and roots growing in, which is why the whole thing needs fixing.

Old 12-15-12, 09:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 825 Votes on 775 Posts
I've seen both methods. The epoxy system is pretty cool. Actually so is the pipe bursting.

Myself, I think I'd lean towards the bursting method. I can't really comment on it bursting the basement floor. I'd just be guessing.

The epoxy system is great but I'm not sure how it'll work out with future tree roots.