Shower leaking after bathroom remodel

Old 12-17-12, 08:58 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Shower leaking after bathroom remodel

I just had a bathroom remodel. My son took the first shower yesterday and the bathroom flooded out into the hall and into living room. Fortunately, this area is all spanish tile and seems fine. After mopping and cleaning up, I tested the shower. Water appears to be coming through the grout around the tiled basin. The bathroom is on a slab, is about 8x10 ft, and completely tiled. Water is also seeping up around the toilet in the opposite corner of the room. Questions I have are: 1. Can the water really push through the tile grout and seep underneath the tile across the room? 2. If so, is there reason for concern about long term damage or mold from this having occurred? 3. Should I demand anything of the contractor beyond the leak repair, for instance does the tile have to be removed across the floor to allow drying? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-12, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Yes water can come through grout...grout isn't waterproof. But I doubt that's your issue. Water through the grout is a slow process normally. Sounds like either they didn't put in a shower membrane or they did it incorrectly. Possibly a drain piping issue.

Do you have any specs on the job or pics as it was being done? Was this permitted and inspected?

You have a real issue and I'll bet they are going to wind up tearing out at least the shower pan to fix it....possibly even more.

Old 12-17-12, 03:00 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 84 Votes on 79 Posts
I'd agree with Vic that I think it's a drain issue. Even if they royally screwed up the pan, I doubt you would have gotten that much water that quickly.

If the flooding was a one-time thing, I wouldn't worry about mold... but it sounds like you may have a systemic problem on your hands.

Old 12-17-12, 03:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I am reading things differently. Do you have a pan at all, whether built in or factory purchased to contain the water. Pictures of what you have would certainly help us diagnose the problem. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html