Water backing up washing machine standpipe... help? :)

Old 12-19-12, 11:59 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water backing up washing machine standpipe... help? :)

Hi guys and gals,

Having an interesting problem and hoping you might be able to help... Water from the first floor shower and dishwasher is back flowing through the basement washing machine drain standpipe.

We've had a ton of rain here recently, so I have a feeling that the leach bed/septic is saturated and is causing this problem, and since that drain is below the main drain, water is seeking the easiest way out.

The septic was pumped in May, and it's a one person house, so I am hesitant to think that is the problem. Would it be possible to simply add a vertical backwater valve at the bottom of this stand pipe, if such a thing exists? Do you have any other thoughts on what I could do? Budget is VERY tight! Thanks in advance...

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-12, 12:09 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 487 Votes on 448 Posts
You are correct that it could be the septic system. This brings up a whole other list of questions....

It could also be that the main drain line from the house out to the septic tank has become clogged. If it is clogged or partially clogged it is better to get cleaned out or fixed sooner rather than later. You may have a small passage letting some waste through but it will tend to catch debris and build up until it clogs completely.

Back flow preventers do exist but I recommend fixing the underlying problem. If the drain line is clogged and you install a valve it will keep backing up until it gets to the next higher fixture.

Old 12-19-12, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
I would empty the septic first. When they drain it they can tell you if the field is water locked or not. If water does not come back from the field to the tank, then probably a clogged main.

Old 12-19-12, 12:40 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Like I said, it was just checked out in like May, but I suppose something could have happened between now and then.

It had never done this until we got two weeks of almost solid rain. The lay of the land on this lot is not very conducive to draining, so that is why I am concerned it may be saturated...

If I do get it drained and cleaned, and there doesn't seem to be a problem, would it be advisable to install one of the normally open backwater valves?

There has been occasional sewer gas smell from this drain leading up to this problem (during the major rain storm)

Old 12-19-12, 01:29 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 487 Votes on 448 Posts
I don't like back flow preventing valves though they can save you a stinky mess. They can make sense when installed on the main line connecting a house to a municipal sewer. With a septic system and you have a problem you've got a problem with or without the valve. The only difference is where the mess is. Without the valve the mess is down in your basement. With the valve the sewage will back up and escape from the next higher opening which is probably your tub or shower drain.