Please review my plan

Old 12-20-12, 11:11 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Please review my plan

I am in the process of redoing our basement living space as a movie room. The previous owner installed a drop ceiling but had it wedged (i have no idea how he installed it) tight between the galvanized plumbing and the grid work. So to correct the problem and save some headaches down the road I am going to replace the galvanized with PEX and fit the PEX up nicely between the floor joists. There is also some copper that ties into the galvanized from when they installed a new water heater in the 80s. Right now the galvanized feeding the two bathrooms goes through several size changes (.75 to .5 back to .75 and then to .5 again with a handful of Ts and leaky compression fittings).

I have included a diagram of what my plans are. I hope this is enough information to critique my plan.

the 10ft each side of the water heater is an estimate it is probably more accurate 15 each way

http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/8042/plumbing1.jpg

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-12, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
Looks good to me.........................................

Old 12-20-12, 03:49 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 85 Votes on 80 Posts
I agree, looks good.

If your water heater is gas, you'll want the first 18-24" to remain copper so the heat from the vent doesn't melt the pipe.

Also, don't forget shutoffs.

Good luck!

Old 12-21-12, 04:39 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for looking it over. Yes I will be installing shutoff valves at various locations. It is a gas water heater, When we installed it we used those 18inch 3/4" braided connector hoses off the copper. Should I be fine to connect PEX to those?

Also can fixtures like sink faucets, toilets, and the washing machine hookup be supplied with 3/8" or will i see too much of a pressure drop?

Old 12-21-12, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
You need 18" of rigid copper from the water heater before you change to another material.

Just use 1/2" to the fixtures.