Pool heater install

Old 12-21-12, 12:00 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pool heater install

Hi all. I also posted this on the pool heater forum, but wanted some plumbers insight too.

Just bought a new pool heater to replace an existing one that had completely rusted inside an out. My question is around how difficult this will be? The guy at the store felt is was fairly easy. I'm not worried about the pool plumbing or electrical, but the gas fittings have me a bit concerned as I have never done any gas plumbing before.

The new heater is 1" shorter than the old one and was originally thinking of using a flex hose, but it seems code does not allow that. I have some concrete pavers that I am now thinking of using to raise the heater the 1" it is short.

The heater is the same make (hayward) and same BTU (399000) so no concerns around existing meter and regulator.

What do you think is a novice capable of hooking this up to the existing gas line?

Below is a picture of the existing setup.

Attached Images  
Old 12-21-12, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Not sure why you have a regulator at the pool heater? Where does this gas line for the pool heater come from? Possibly take a pic of that.

Just break the union and turn the piece out from the gas valve of the pool heater.

To connect back to gas supply, and if it does not align, you will need to change some nipples.

The nipple above the regulater will need to be changed to gain vertical, and the nipple to the right of the union to extend farther right to reach new opening if not lined up.

Use teflon tape and a little paste for the connections.

Last edited by lawrosa; 12-22-12 at 07:12 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-22-12, 05:42 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 419 Upvotes on 372 Posts
Just to jump on what Mike said,

be sure to have a good 18" pipe wrench. (don't ask how I know a 12" wrench doesn't have enough torque for 3/4" piping.

I wouldn't bother with raising up the heater, it's easy enough to pull out that nipple and get a longer one. You can always get a handful of different sizes and return the ones you don't use.

Once you have everything connected, use a soapy water solution over all the joints and look for bubbles indicating leaks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: