Main Shut-off Valve System: Identifying Components

Old 12-24-12, 07:51 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Main Shut-off Valve System: Identifying Components

Hi everyone,
I am a first time home owner who needs help identifying main shut off valve, meter and the other components. I have a picture attached. There are three clamps on both sides of the meter and I would like to know why they are there. And the main shut of valve looks like a ball valve. I don't want to touch it as there is no problem right now, but God forbids if any leak happens in the house I want to shut the water off without having any issues.
The second picture shows the secondary water powered sum pump. Can anyone tell me why the pipe has a detour before going into the house?

Thanks.

Attached Images   

Last edited by cansar; 12-24-12 at 08:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-12, 08:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 914 Votes on 854 Posts
It looks like the water comes in to the left side of the water meter and I don't see a shut-off valve there

There is what looks like some kind of ball valve on the output side of the water meter. It's very hard to tell from your pic what that barrage of stuff is in the water line.

Can anyone tell me why the pipe has a detour before going into the house?
Not quite sure what you mean by that.
Although.....it looks like your sump pump is discharging into a sewer/septic line

Last edited by PJmax; 12-24-12 at 08:38 PM. Reason: removed un-needed pics
Old 12-24-12, 08:35 PM
C
I took another picture with my Nikon and updated it It should be clear now. The shut off is on the leftmost side.

For the detour, I meant the pipe turns left and turns right again without going directly up.

Thanks.

Old 12-24-12, 08:44 PM
Group Moderator
Are you talking about that valve that I'm pointing to ?
That's a scary looking valve. If you need to shut off water use that blue handled valve instead.

As far as the water pipe.... you're referring to the black line right over the sewer/septic line ?

Interesting config....someones handiwork. No idea why it's there.

Still can't those things in the water line clearly.

Attached Images  
Old 12-24-12, 08:59 PM
C
Yes I am. Scary indeed. But it is a valve. The blue one is not (in my opinion) a valve. It looks like a clamp to fix leaks. But there are three of them. Two on the left side and the other blue is on the right. And I don't know why they are there. But I do not know anything about plumbing.

Old 12-24-12, 09:53 PM
Group Moderator
Can you shoot us a good pic of those things on the wall ?

I have a similar archaic type valve as a main shutoff. What I did was turn it off. Off....yeah....it wouldn't shut off all the way.

I disconnected the right (house side) of meter. Made up a new meter to 3/4" fitting. Installed a 90 pointing up and then installed a good (new) ball valve. I left the nut on the water meter loose while I soldered in valve. This way the water just pissed out the nut and didn't fill the pipe I was trying to work on.

Now I have a new main valve and wont touch the city side valve.

Old 12-24-12, 11:53 PM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
Please post several more pictures from several different angles. Include more of the piping from the Pressure Reducing Valve (PRV) to the house supply.

What you are calling clamps are probably sealable covers over the union nuts of the meter to prevent unauthorized removal of the meter. They should have a seal similar to what is used on the electrical meter to indicate tampering.

What I DON'T see is the electrical grounding/bonding wires and connections. There should be a jumper wire between the incoming water piping and the house piping past the PRV UNLESS the incoming piping is plastic.

Old 12-25-12, 02:43 PM
C
Thank you very much guys. I now have the answers. Yes Google search revealed that the plastic clamps are nut seals to prevent unauthorized removal.
And there is no electrical wire as the incoming pipe is plastic.
Also the main shut off valve is a type used by municipalities. If I don't pay the water bill they can shut the water off, and lock it using the holes on the valve (It shuts the water off when the two holes align.) I am hoping that the valve functions when I needed.

Old 12-25-12, 02:56 PM
Group Moderator
I am hoping that the valve functions when I needed.
I wouldn't count on it. Besides.....if you have an emergency are you going to be searching for a wrench to turn off the water ?

I was talking about the stuff I have highlighted in blue.

Attached Images  
Old 12-25-12, 08:27 PM
C
Those are the components of the water powered sum pump system. It is a back-up for the electric sump pump.