water softener

Old 01-31-01, 08:32 AM
Visiting Guest
I moved into a home that has a water softener installed but it wasn't in use it is bran new and I would like info on how to use one.Like how to set it,where do I put the salt,what type of salt do I use ect..
Thanks

Old 01-31-01, 04:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

There should be a bypass valve (which bypasses the water softener) that you can use to turn it on and off (turn it on and leave it on once you set up softener). There should be a plastic brine tank (like a square plastic garbage can) and this is where you put the salt.
Do not use the pelletized softener salt, as it tends to clog. Use salt crystals (crushed rock salt...gravel sized). What I use comes in 80-lb bags, and put two of these bags in the tank, if empty, to start.
Let salt get low with use(down to about 1/4 tank or less), stir the leftover salt in the bottom of the tank with a broom handle,etc. to break up any "salt domes", and add fresh salt on top of it, as needed.
You should be able to adjust how often it re-generates with the control dial, and set the time that you want it to re-generate (early in a.m. when no one is using water).
The frequency of re-generation that you set depends on how much water you use each month (look for volume on your water bill).
Determine softener manufacturer and contact dealer nearest you to get an operations booklet. That should explain all of the details for your particular softener.
I've had a water softener for almost 25 years, and about all you need to do it set it up, and add salt once in a while. Easy.
Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: