Copper tubing Slab leak

Old 12-30-12, 08:29 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Copper tubing Slab leak

I have a 20 yr old house on a slab with continous 3/4 "copper tubbing. A pin hole leak has been detected in the hot water side. The slab has been opened up and the exterior of the tubing is pitted with thin spots. The house was built on bank gravel to level the house with the street. I live in Indiana which has a lot of limestone. What is going on? If i need to replace the tubing, is it possible to pull a new length under 2 - 3 rooms under the slab with tearing up the cement the entire lenght of the tubing? Do I fix what I see or do the whole length??

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-12, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator
No Pro, but I've heard/read of this quite a few times, both here and other places. If you have a pinhole caused by corrosion (not mechanical damage of some sort) you can count on it happening somewhere else.

Yes, the whole line should be replaced...probably back to the meter. I know with drainage there are different options, but with supply....I think it's pretty much just abandon whats there and run new. Yes, trenching and cutting concrete is required. I don't think I've ever heard of being able to pull in a new while pulling out the old.

Wait for our Plumbers to weigh in.

Old 12-30-12, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
Possibly you can pull a new line. Poly not copper would be my choice. If it is pin holes as gunguy states then it may happen elsewhere if corrosion.

You have options. You need to find both manifolds in the wall. If its the hot main line a better alternative is repipe that line up. Go into the attic then come down back to the manifold.

The manifold supply's the bath group. You did not state how many baths or type of home.

Possibly just repair and go on with your life until the next leak occurs.

Old 12-30-12, 09:42 AM
Copper tubing Slab leak

I have 2 1/2 baths. The 2 full baths are together at the opposite end of the house from the water tank. The 1/2 bath real close to tank. Difficult decision!

Old 12-30-12, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator
Oops! Sorry I missed that it was the hot water side only! Guess I was stuck on what my neighbor had happen earlier this year. My bad.

Old 12-30-12, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator
The half bath plumbing, if by the tank is feed from the manifold most likely. Its above the slab and fed at wall height. The hot line to the two full baths in under the slab and is a continuous run.

Where is the leak in relation distance wise? Yo need to take in consideration that the line may rise at some point to a small manifold to pick up the kitchen sink.

I floor home? Attic above? Like I said you may need to find all manifolds in the wall before you make a decision.

Last edited by lawrosa; 12-30-12 at 12:09 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-30-12, 11:25 AM
The leak is approx 40% from the tank going to the 2 full baths . It is a ranch with attic. When I stop to think about the copper piping, there have got to be branches from these manifolds to kitchen sink, etc, which are also under the slab exposed to the same elements as the leaking pipe. I'm thinking I am better off to repair what needs to be done than tearing up more floor than what I need.

Old 01-01-13, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator
Let us know how you are making out........

Old 01-22-13, 05:53 PM
Would it be posible to feed a 1/2" or 3/8" pex tubeing through the 3/4" copper?