Low water pressure (hot/cold) only in standalone tub

Old 01-01-13, 08:39 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Low water pressure (hot/cold) only in standalone tub

We bought a house and only have water pressure issues with the jet tub in the master bath. This tub has a Delta faucet with one spout, a hot knob, cold knob, a knob to switch water flow to a hand held. Hope this makes sense. No matter whether I turn on hot, cold, or both at tje same time, the water pressure remains the same and is very low. I believe at one time I took tje knobs off in an attempt to resolve, but obv iously I didnt get very far. The water pressure with this tub has been the same since day one. There are no entrance doors around the tub for me to see the pipes. Any help is appreciated. Will call a plunber if necessary, but would love it if I could resolve myself.

Old 01-01-13, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
Did you remove the aerator and check that its free of debris?

Does the hand held flow good and its just the spout that has the issue?

Old 01-01-13, 09:34 AM
L
Yes, I did remove the aerator amd didnt see any debris...and the flow is the same from the handheld or the faucet. Thanks!

Old 01-01-13, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator
Usually there is a mixing valve, or shut offs for the tub in vanity. Open the vanity and look around. Could be a bad mixer.

Old 01-01-13, 10:00 AM
L
We have two vanities. If I send you pix can you tell me if you see what you are referring to?

Old 01-01-13, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator
Yes post pics.......................................

Old 01-01-13, 10:23 AM
L
I know these valves control the sink water pressure and had to adjust one when we first moved in, but I don't know if they also control the tub.

Attached Images   
Old 01-01-13, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator
Nothing at floor level in the cabinets? Could you take a pic of the tub and faucet?

How about any closets. I will try to find a pic of a mixer.

It could be the cartridges are clogged.

Is there a basement? What floor is this tub on?

Old 01-01-13, 11:22 AM
L
No, there is nothing else in the cabinets except what the pix show. I have a closet on one side of the tub and there is an opening cut that shows nothing as far as I'm concerned, but I'm sending you a pic. Also on the other side of the tub we have a closet potty and there is an opening cut in the wall that reveals the jacuzzi motor (I think), I'm sending a pic of that. I'm also attaching a pic of the front of the tub and the faucets. There is no basement and the floor is a slab.

Attached Images     
Old 01-01-13, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator
In the third pic I see the hot/cold lines. They are the red and blue pex lines.

Try to stick your head in there and look right. Follow those lines. There may be shut offs and/or a mixing valve. I say this because I believe its code on all newer homes. Your house seems newer because you have pex. I would say less then 10 years old?

Possibly cut more of the sheet rock on the right in the closet....

Additionally look left and see if you can see where the lines go. Any vent looking things on the wall in the closet?

Whats on the opposite walls of the closet? Possibly the lines go in a adjacent bathroom? Kitchen? Laundry room?

Old 01-01-13, 12:18 PM
L
Yes, I would say less than 10 years, but not certain when it was built. Wow, a tiny nasty little hole to stick my head through, but maybe I saw something (other than spider webs and trash) that will be benificial. First of all there is barely any space between the blocks of wood that you see on each side and the opening, so I can't see much. When I look to the left, in what little space I can spy between the block of wood, I can see the red line goes up...maybe to the attic? When I look to the right, the only thing I can see is the the lines (at least one of them) wrapping around to the front to the tub. Right beyong the block of wood to the right, I see the side of what looks to be another electrical box (blue and white). I have no idea what it would be for. I will try to take a pic of each of these, but don't think I'll be able to. I could follow the lines to the right around the tub (toward the front where the faucets are) by removing sheetrock, but I don't see any way of following them to the left, since it's toward the outside wall of the house. As for any vents, there is only what I have always thought to be an air conditioning vent on the ceiling of this closet that contains this opening. It looks just like all of the other air vents in the house, yet this is only a linen closet, with not even a light, so I don't know why it would have an air vent. On the other side of this linen closet is the actual clothes closet. If I cut out more sheet rock, am I looking for something similar to what I see under the sinks as far as valves go? Thanks sooooo much for putting up with my ignorance.

Old 01-01-13, 12:41 PM
L
OK, so my small cell phone can see more than my big head can I'm attaching pix that might show you something, and appear to contradict what I said about the red line going up, but promise I do see something with my eyes that look like the red line going up....Either that or a red shotgun shell standing directly up. Unfortunately I still couldn't get the pic that showed this or the pic of possibly an electrical box. As I said before, I see both of these by peering through a little slit between the pieces of wood, but the camera couldn't get it. Attached you will see views to the left and right, but I don't know if they will add any insight. The pic with the hot/cold lines directly on top of each other (should be the first pic) is to the left. The other two are to the right.

Attached Images    
Old 01-01-13, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator
OK forget the right side.... Nothing there.

OK left side... you say they go up? OK take a pic of that vent and go in the attic and look around over this bath.

Oh take the cover off that vent . I doubt thats a HVAC vent in a closet....

Old 01-01-13, 05:07 PM
L
Hmmm...looks like an air vent to me, but I think you can tell how little I know about this. If, in fact, it is....as for it being in a closet....not the first time I've asked "why????" with things in the house. So,what am I looking for when I go in the attic?

Attached Images  
Old 01-01-13, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator
That vent is there to keep your linens warm or cool or course....LOL.... ( OK forget that) But probably a renovation and they made a closet...Hence the popcorn ceiling....

OK if you look in the attic you want to find those red and blue lines and trace them to valves and such.

In summary you want to find where those lines go.....

then when we find out that we can move forward...

Let us know.

Last edited by lawrosa; 01-01-13 at 06:41 PM.
Old 01-01-13, 06:12 PM
L
Great! Thanks! Will do. Probably tomorrow though

Old 01-01-13, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator
Good... Let us know.......................

trying to help. Dont want to be a pain leading you on a goose chase....

It may jsut be in the cartridge in the handles..... Dont know. Lets find the sorce first right?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: