Gas line to deck

Old 01-31-01, 11:25 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I need to run a gas line out to my deck (to connect a natural gas grill). The house is new construction (6 months), the deck even newer. The builder ran a flexible gas line in the basement to a shutoff valve point about a foot away from the back wall of the house. This line needs to be extended through the sill plate, under the deck, and terminate at an appropriate connector near the grill. Total distance about 20'.

(1) The first quote I got is $850.00, which seems absurdly high. Is this high, or is it in the right ballpark? I live in southeastern PA.

(2) What is the best material to run under the deck? Can black pipe be used outside? Is the high price quoted due to some exotic material requirement for exterior gas lines?

Old 01-31-01, 11:36 AM
A
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The $850 price is way too high.

I would run soft copper with flared fittings, that is what I did, and I don't live that far from you. It works great, and you don't have to worry about it rusting.

Old 02-01-01, 04:45 PM
M
Just got another estimate. Actually the first ($850) estimate included some other stuff besides the gas line (add a hose bibb $250, utility sink roughin w/ejector pump $1180) the total was $2280. The second estimate is $937 for everything.

The first quote was from a big outfit with a fleet of fancy trucks, office staff to answer phones, round-the-clock service, etc. They seemed to quote based on some sort of "task #", which seems similar to the way the doctor charges. The second quote was a local licensed independent master plumber with a single van. He quoted based on hours plus materials.

The second plumber estimated $517 for materials plus seven hours labor @ $60. Based on the same assumptions, the big outfit is charging about $250 per hour!

Is it common for the big outfits to be so out of line with reality? Do they exist mainly to handle emergencies where they can get big bucks from desperate people? They obviously don't want my business very badly.

Old 02-01-01, 10:08 PM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wait a minute -- thought you were talking about a $100 gas line to your BBQ. Where did the utility sink rough-in with an ejector pump come in?? Not sure what you're doing with your BBQ, but what has this secretary been smoking??

Old 02-02-01, 05:04 AM
M
Simple. I am having three separate, unrelated things done. My initial question was about the price for the one which seemed most outrageous (the gas line), but it has evolved into a question regarding big firm vs. independent pricing, and whether the big firms don't really want to do new installations but rather just emergency repairs.

The reason for bringing up the sink roughin and hose bibb is to illustrate that the quote from the independent for the whole job was roughly the same as the big form quoted just for the gas line!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: