Replaced water heater but still can't shower

Old 01-06-13, 06:59 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replaced water heater but still can't shower

WH replacement actually went great. No leaks and hot water works fine at all points in the rest of the house. The problem spot is the shower stall in the master bath. When WH was installed and filling, I turned on the shower (2 knobs and a shower head) to pull air from the new WH through the system. Some water came out, then the shower head started spitting and then a red rusty color spit out and the flow stopped all together. Took shower head off figuring junk from old WH must have clogged the head. No go, when I turned on hot water no flow from the pipe, when I turned on cold water lots of flow from the pipe. When I removed the hot water knob the screw head had deteriorated and I had to drill the screw out. Once the handle was off, I took the entire thing out and went to the hardware store. I purchased a new one, installed it with no problems. Still no hot water, and now no cold water. I am hoping for a solution that does not involve tearing into the wall.

Old 01-06-13, 08:09 AM
D
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 63 Votes on 53 Posts
There is a verticle pipe which runs all the way to the top of the water heater to the floor that has a simple basic lever on it. Its a vent actually. You probably flipped that switch to drain the old water heater. If simply flipping that lever back to a closed position, doesn't get you water, make sure you have the water valve turned on to allow water to come from the main line outside to the water heater. I know that sounds basic & I don't mean to sound rude but it could be something you forgot to do. We tend to forget the basics sometimes.
If at that point you don't have water, turn the main line water off, flip the vent open again, turn the main water on & see if you get water. If not, leave all controls the same & open the tank drain faucet near the bottom of the tank. If so, flip the vent lever closed & leave the main water supply open. Try all faucets throughout house. Hopefully, this will get you water.

Basicly what your trying to do here is.... you need to have water pressure for the tank to drain. Just because there is water in the tank doesn't mean that gravity will do the trick & the water will automatically flow.
Water pressure = main water inlet on. Vent closed. But it may take a little trickery to get it so called primed to flow.

Its not the exact explanation but, its a little trickery to hopefully get you water.

Hope this helps... good luck

Old 01-06-13, 08:22 AM
G
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
From the no-flow & stripped screw issues it sounds like your fixture is due for replacement. Is there an access panel on the other side of the wall, behind the valves?

Old 01-06-13, 10:39 AM
S
I don't believe the water heater is the issue. We have water throughout the rest of the house. We have washed loads of clothes, run the dishwasher numerous times, showered, and bathed with plenty of hot water and no pressure problems. I did replace the nylon insert for the hot water knob in the shower. Before I replaced it I had plenty of cold water coming out of the shower head but no hot. I think something slipped when I removed the original nylon insert that is now preventing cold water from flowing through to the shower pipe. None of this took place at the HWH. I am sure the entire problem rests with the pipes behind the shower knob.

Old 01-07-13, 04:39 PM
W
Received 12 Votes on 10 Posts
Hi Sounds like you have a valve with washers. Shut the hot water off at the heater. Remove the stem on the hot water side, close the shower door, turn on the water at the heater. Go back and see if water is comming out of the missing valve. That will let you know where the problem might be.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 01-12-13, 08:10 AM
S
So what I finally learned is that DH did replace the hot water stem but hot water did not flow from the shower head. So DH, don't ask me why, decided to unscrew the shower head crook to check for a clog. I know, totally incorrect logic. Obviously the problem was not at the crook since cold water was flowing. I didn't catch this part at first because of course there was no clog at the crook if the cold water was running, so the possibility of the problem being at the crook never occurred to me. So, stem replaced and still no hot water flow and we think we have something clogging just the hot water valve. But now we also have to figure out what DH disconnected at the shower crook. This is why we are going in through the wall, to fix the shower crook. Thanks for all of your suggestions. I just have a DH who over thinks everything and went to far, once again. Will post the outcome. This should be fun.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: