Pressure regulator questions

Old 01-15-13, 07:29 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wink Pressure regulator questions

Hey, I have a pressure regulator I think is acting up. The one I have was replaced 3 years ago with the exact unit that was on it. I bought it at a plumbing supply house here in the inland empire.

Recently, if someone is taking a shower and the toilet if flushed, the shower water is significantly reduced, way more than I remember. My question is, is it possible the unit has debree in it or could be somehow plugged up? I know these units use a spring and an adjustable piston. Since they are mechanical, and I assume the problem is the regulator, is there anyway to remove the plugs and clean them or inspect the parts? Do they build rebuild kits with new parts, etc?

I know a pic will help resolve some of your questions; I will try and post tomorrow. Steve

Old 01-16-13, 05:29 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,156 Upvotes on 1,930 Posts
Yes, it is possible that there is a restriction in the PRV. It also could be elsewhere such as a main shutoff valve or a corroded supply pipe leading to the house.

Old 01-16-13, 05:52 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Just taking a different road, it could be in the pressure balance of the shower unit itself, since it only occurs in the shower. May be time for a cartridge cleaning/replacement.

Old 01-16-13, 05:57 PM
M
I didn't think the whole house filter could do that, but I will change it and the retest the conditions. The low flow condition isn't unique with the shower; the condition can be seen at the kitchen sink, the flow o the washing machine, and the two showers.

Thanks - and Chandler, you get around a lot; this is the third question on three forums I have asked and you have answered all 3.

Old 01-17-13, 06:25 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,156 Upvotes on 1,930 Posts
He (Chandler) was referring to the cartridge in your shower faucet. You previously did not say you had a water filter. In that case you certainly need to start there.

Old 01-17-13, 12:11 PM
Thanks, mcmahst, I try. Keeps me off the streets.

I thought initially it was only happening at the shower, but since it is universal, as Dane said, go for the filtration system.

Old 01-19-13, 10:50 AM
M
Thanks guys for the help; will report back once i change it. Now, if you could help me with the washing machine water valve question.

Old 01-19-13, 11:42 AM
May want to start a thread in Large Appliances. Don or some of the others will drop in to answer, I feel sure.

Old 01-19-13, 11:58 AM
M
I posted it here because it is the value that is part of the plumbing system, not part of the washing machine.

Old 01-19-13, 12:02 PM
OH, roger that. I was thinking inside the machine. What's up with the valve?

Never mind. I see it. I'll respond over there if I can help.

Old 01-21-13, 12:53 PM
M
It was the water filter. I replaced it and the problem is gone. Thank you for the help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: