Finishing a rough-in basement bathroom: drains

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-13, 02:28 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Finishing a rough-in basement bathroom: drains

Hello everyone,

I've been reading the forms here for a while for tips and ideas and it's been very helpful. I'm currently getting ready to finish a bathroom in my basement that was roughed in when the house was built (2006). Currently my only questions are in the plumbing, and so I'd like to get some clarification on a couple of things before I set off either trying to do some of this or to hire someone in.

Let's start with the drains. The existing rough-in looks like this:

Rough-in

I'm pretty sure those pipes are (left to right) shower drain, toilet, and the horizontal pipe on the stack is for the sink. Right so far?

So assuming those are right, what needs to be done to actually use them? Many of the threads I've found where people have a toilet rough-in, it seems like the pipe isn't nearly as tall and you'd basically just take the cap off, put on a flange and sit the toilet right on there... but in my case I take it I'd have to cut the pipe down a bit first? Would I have to do anything else? Here's a closer shot: Toilet and lav stack

As for the sink, I'm assuming I'd need to cut the end off of that lateral pipe and attach a longer one to reach around to where the sink will be (right next to the toilet, so less than the max of ~42"). I believe that stack is 1 1/2", would I be able to also hook in a small sink on the other side of the wall for a wet bar that we are considering? Or would that require a larger stack?

I haven't yet been able to determine what (if anything) drains into that stack from above, as there's nothing directly above it that uses water.

Lastly, what would need to be done for the shower drain (if that's what it actually is)? Shower Drain Most pictures I've seen usually have a square of cement open around the drain, but the area does seem to fit a 36"x60" shower almost perfectly -- though the cleanout valve on that stack would be right at the edge of the shower.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give!

Last edited by TuxToaster; 01-29-13 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Fixed link titles
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-13, 03:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the forums! The toilet pipe will be cut to match your finished floor and a flange installed to attach the toilet to. Don't turn it toward the shower..........nevermind that's another post, I ain't touching

The shower drain must be 2" diameter pipe. As far as fitting a stock shower pan, you'd just have to measure it. Don't cut it off until you find out what you want to go there, or whether or not you want a presloped pan installed from scratch (preferred). Your sink drain will obviously go past the toilet and exit the wall in another location closer to where you will be installing the sink. That's good. The vent pipe for that could be a wet vent, but that's ok, and it probably isn't. Before you do anything, measure from the stud wall behind the toilet pipe to the center of the toilet pipe. You should have at least 12 3/4". If not, you will need a plan "B". Let us know about that.

Old 01-29-13, 03:25 PM
T
lol. Thanks for the quick reply. On the shower, we were looking at a kit like this: Shop Sterling 60"L x 36"W White Shower Floor at Lowes.com Though I'm not 100% sure that the drain pipe will end up in the center of that or not, I think it ended up being slightly off center in the room.

On the toilet, I'll double check the measurement but I want to say it was pretty close to 12" even from the center of the pipe to the wall... though I may have mentally adjusted for drywall when I measured.

On the sink, so the pipe going up is likely just to vent for the sink and doesn't have anything above it? Any thoughts on if I'd be able to tie in a second sink on the other side of the wall using the existing stack?

Thanks again!

Old 01-29-13, 03:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Yes, you can tie another sink on the opposite wall. You'll just have to cut out the stack and install a tee/sweep as the other one has and plumb normally.

Yeah, your shower will be a little wierd. There's no way to plan on a rough on a shower that will suit everyone. That is why I mentioned the presloped packed pan. Not too difficult to build, and you just put your tile on top of it. How to build a shower - Building a shower pan with pre-sloped mortar bed, liner and curb.

On the toilet, if you don't have 12" from finished wall, you know you will need to make adjustments, so we can get to that as time progresses.

Old 01-29-13, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 51 Posts
The toilet is most likely 4". What you do after you finish the floor is cut it flush then get an inside toilet flange. It glues from the inside.

The sink is fine. If you need to add a bar sink to that line then that changes a lot. You will need to vent that arm. Its hard to explain but I can find that diagram from another post for you. You cant just add to that existing arm.

The shower do not cut until you get the base. Some inches will need to stick up above the finished floor for it to fit up in the strainer. Then a rubber donut fits around the pipe.

Old 01-29-13, 08:25 PM
T
Good thing I remeasured... the toilet is 14" from the center to the stud, 12" from the outside. Could've sworn it was 12" from center when I initially measured it. Anyways, plenty of room there.

Here are the measurements for reference: Bathroom Measurements

Looks like the shower drain is off to the left by about 5 1/2". We were planning on going with a prefab shower rather than tile, but I take it my only option here would be to dig up the concrete and move the drain and trap over?

And on the sink, I'd definitely be interested in seeing the diagram if you can find it. I figured it wouldn't be as simple as adding it to the lateral due to venting, just looking to see how much work would be involved in making it happen.

Old 01-29-13, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 51 Posts
We were planning on going with a prefab shower rather than tile, but I take it my only option here would be to dig up the concrete and move the drain and trap over?
Get the pan you want and build out the wall to the pan....easy!!!!

I will try to find that diagram or draw you one. Where will the bar sink be? After the vanity or before???

Old 01-29-13, 09:50 PM
T
Yeah, I was just considering doing a 48" kit and building the wall in a little bit, just seems like it would waste the space. The bathroom was already framed at 60" wide so a 60" kit would be ideal. If the drain weren't 5" off center. Heh.

So if we do the bar sink, it'd honestly be wherever is easiest ;-) There will be a counter directly on the other side of the wall from the toilet and vanity, and I had figured it would end up being almost directly behind where the vertical stack is, though it can be on either side of it if need be.

Also figured that might be good placement so that if the shower install caused any problems with the placement of the cleanout on that stack that I could have the cleanout turned around to be under the sink.

Closed Thread