Can't remove hose splitter from vacuum breaker

Old 01-30-13, 11:22 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can't remove hose splitter from vacuum breaker

I have hose splitters on both of my outdoor faucets. I need to remove the hose splitters from the faucets, but I am finding that some part of the vacuum breaker turns with splitter when I try to unscrew it. Do I need to replace the faucets entirely, or is there an easier remedy for my problem? Any help will be gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-13, 11:32 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Two pair of these.

One to hold the splitter. One to hold the back flow presenter.

Old 01-30-13, 11:53 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 256 Votes on 226 Posts
Small pipe wrench, large pliers or visegrip pliers will also work.

Old 01-30-13, 11:55 AM
C
Thanks. We tried that. There's a screw that holds the vacuum splitter in place that isn't allowing it to turn. Have you tried this method yourself with success?

Old 01-30-13, 12:00 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 256 Votes on 226 Posts
Why not remove the vacumn breaker along with the hose splitter?

Old 01-30-13, 01:02 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Look at your vacuum breaker closely. You may find that the part with the screw is not turning but the lower section where your splitter is attached, does turn. Grab the lower section of the breaker with vise grips or similar and the splitter with another pair of grips and they should seperate.

Old 01-30-13, 03:24 PM
C
Thanks. I'm trying to do that, but I haven't been able to get it off, unfortunately.

Old 01-30-13, 03:27 PM
C
Thanks. Unfortunately the part that turns is inside the breaker housing, and the male part is inside the splitter. It's not visible or accessible. That's the part that has been preventing me from being able to unscrew the splitter. I'll see if I can post a picture in a separate comment.

Old 01-30-13, 03:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
As Marksr suggested, loosen the vacuum breaker screw and remove both the breaker and the splitter and toss them. Buy a new vacuum breaker and install.

Old 01-30-13, 03:50 PM
C
Pictures of my situation. The middle two show how the bottom part of the vacuum breaker remains stationary while the splitter has moved.

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 1460
Size:  30.6 KBName:  3.jpg
Views: 2244
Size:  23.0 KBName:  4.jpg
Views: 1613
Size:  22.9 KB

Attached Images  
Old 01-30-13, 03:56 PM
C
Thanks. Vacuum breaker screws can't be removed. They are designed to break off after the breaker has been installed, so there is nothing in which to put a screw driver. I tried drilling out the screw but that didn't work. I was able to move the breaker a bit, but I couldn't get it off, and neither could my big strong husband.

Old 01-30-13, 03:57 PM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
I assume this is an add-on vacuum breaker such as pictured?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8610[/ATTACH]

The screw is supposed to break off when tightened and prevent the vacuum breaker from being removed in the future. If this is what you have them you will need to cut the vacuum breaker from the faucet with a rotary cutter such as a Dremel and a lot of patience. Being careful you should be able to get it off without damaging the threads of the faucet.

As for the hose splitter, I have never seen one with a screw but then again, I have never really examined one either. It could be the same arrangement on yours and the only way to remove is to cut it off. Replacement may be the only option. Worst case you will need to replace the frost proof faucet and if you do then replace it with a model that has the vacuum breaker built in.

Attached Images  
Old 01-30-13, 04:15 PM
C
Thanks. That's very similar. I posted pictures in a separate post. The splitter doesn't have a screw, but because the male threading of the breaker is moving, but not accessible, there is nothing for me to grab in order to hold it still.

I think you might be right about it having to be cut off. Or I might put a new faucet on with the breaker as an integral part of the faucet. Strangely, breakers of the kind I have cost about the same amount as faucets with breakers in them.

Old 01-30-13, 04:40 PM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
If you have the access to the connection of the faucet inside the house (basement or crawl space) then replacement of the entire faucet may indeed be the simplest and easiest. Cutting the vacuum breaker off of the existing faucet without damaging the threads of the faucet is a tedious task and it is easy to slip and damage the threads irreparably.

Old 01-30-13, 10:10 PM
C
Thanks. That sounds like good advice.