Water company replaces line, then it fails...who is responsible?

Old 01-30-13, 08:37 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water company replaces line, then it fails...who is responsible?

In the 1980s I replaced my existing waterline from the house to the meter with PVC, plastic. Guaranteed not to rust out. I replaced it because it was not deep enough, and froze one winter.

A few years later, the water company, without my permission or knowledge (I was working overseas at the time), moved my water meter a substantial distance of about 500 feet. They then put in a new line to connect to my existing PVC.

They did not get an easement from me. They did not get a permit. They did not get a licensed plumber to replace the line, they admit doing it themselves.

The used inch galvanized. It is now 600 from the new meter to my house. Needless to say, the line they put in failed. It rusted completely out in numerous places.

Even though they put the line in, the water company refused to take responsibility, At a board meeting with them they admitted that possibly they used a batch of reject pipe. However, they still refuse to accept responsibility for the line they put in.

I replaced the line at my expense, and am now in the process of suing them for the cost.
Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

northwest

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-13, 08:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 908 Votes on 848 Posts
I'm not following. Why did they move your meter 500' ?
and now it's 600'

Old 01-30-13, 08:51 PM
N
They moved the meter about 500 feet around the edge of my field. 200 feet west, then 300 feet north along the property line. From the new meter position, they ran the galvanized line about 300 feet to tie into my existing pvc line. Now, from the new meter to my house is about 600 feet. They actually increased the distance from the new existing meter to my house by about 100 feet.

Old 01-30-13, 08:55 PM
N
They moved the meter they said, for their convenience.

Old 01-30-13, 09:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 908 Votes on 848 Posts
Wow.....tricky issue. Normally the water company is not responsible for the homeowner drop.
However in your case they choose to move it on their own and used what can be considered a sub standard product. Actually, not sub standard but defective.

You do have to consider the age of the pipe too. What are we talking.....almost thirty years ?

I don't think they're going to pay. Even if you sue them I don't think you'd win.

Now.....these are my non professional thoughts. Just stating some facts.