Basement Floor Drain Flooding

Old 02-13-13, 02:35 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement Floor Drain Flooding

Our basement floor drain has been overflowing. It probably happens a few times a year for the past 2 years. This past time (today) there was also a lot of brownish gunk that came up with it. Kind of smelled like rotting food (garbage disposal, maybe) I don't believe the laundry tub next to the floor drain is vented, not sure if that would cause this. Just looking for ideas on what I should check or do to fix this issue. Thanks for any assistance.

Ryan

Old 02-13-13, 03:46 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Update: I was in the basement while my girlfriend was upstairs doing the dishes in the kitchen sink. I heard water and noticed that water was coming from an open drain line for a sink in the basement bathroom (We're in the middle of renovation) It's been open for a while and we've never had an issue with this. Any ideas? Thanks

Old 02-13-13, 04:12 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 199 Votes on 178 Posts
Your main drain (somewhere between where the floor drain connects to the kitchen drain) is probably a bit clogged. Normally, it drains fine. But if it gets an excess of water, it backs up, taking all that gunk in the pipe with it.

It probably needs a good snaking, and possibly even a camera down the drain pipe to ensure it's all in good working order.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: