Copper pipe reconnection

Old 02-24-13, 08:03 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Copper pipe reconnection

I have a copper 1/2" dia pipe supplying water to my washer. Outside the house it comes up from the concrete house pad about 1 foot, makes a 90 degree bend (apparently soldered? on?) and then goes through the wall panel (T1-11 plywood siding). The siding panel needs to be replaced so I plan on either cutting the pipe or (preferably) disconnecting the bend so I can predrill the hole in the siding and then reconnecting the pipe once the panel up. Photo below.

How do I disconnect and reconnect the 90 degree bend? If it involves solder, what tools do I need? I would prefer it all be outside so I don't have to move the washer and dryer in the cramped laundry room.

Thanks!

Steve

Name:  supply line IMG_20130224_105811.jpg
Views: 573
Size:  26.5 KB

Old 02-24-13, 09:00 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,611 Votes on 1,483 Posts
Since the 1/2" copper pipe is so close to the building....you'll have no choice but to unsolder it at the elbow. Since part of the elbow is close to the wall it's going to make things more difficult and messy.

You will need a torch, a 1/2" elbow, acid core plumbing solder, flux and a pipe cleaning brush or emery cloth.

You will not be able to reuse that elbow. Once the old one is removed the pipes will have to be 100% cleaned to perfection to get the new elbow on as well as the solder to stick.

This is not an easy repair for a first time solderer. You'll need to be very careful near the wood wall..

Old 02-24-13, 08:47 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes, and I'm not especially eager to learn soldering since I have plenty of other stuff to keep me busy.

Why is the following not an option?
  • Turn off water, cut pipe above bend.
  • Remove siding. This is sheet siding with no sheathing behind it. Now I have access to the stud bay.
  • Install copper pipe extension with compression fitting inside the wall to extend it out past the wall.
  • Install new siding sheet with predrilled hole for pipe.
  • Cut pipe back and install new bend with compression fittings outside the wall.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: