Another copper pipe question

Old 02-24-13, 08:38 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Another copper pipe question

The hose bib in the photo is I think soldered to copper pipe. I only know this because I tried to unscrew another one elsewhere on the house with messy results. I fixed that with a compression fitting but now I'm replacing the siding behind this one. My question is how to get the bib off and how to reinstall a new one once the siding is up.

Name:  ACarea.hose.bib_IMG_20130224_093510b.jpg
Views: 1283
Size:  26.5 KB

Old 02-24-13, 10:11 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
Well you don't have to worry about frost or freezing, so what you have will continue to work. You may be able to grasp the pipe emerging from the wall with a rounded pair of pliers and using a wrench turn the faucet ccw to remove it. I would also turn the water off to the house to keep from getting messier. You can always cut the siding vertically below the faucet and fit around it.

Old 02-24-13, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
That hose bib is sweated on... Do you have access in the home? You will need to cut the pipe in the home. Then take the new hose bib and solder a piece onto it long enough to reach where you cut the pipe.

Make the piece long, try it, cut a little, try it...etc until its the right size.

Old 02-24-13, 08:08 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Chandler, I'm not following your answer. The problem is that it's not threaded on, and it has to come off to replace the siding.

Lawrosa, I don't know what "sweated" is but it must be what I mean by "soldered"? No I don't have access inside the house without cutting drywall, but it's sheet (T1-11) siding behind it, so once I remove the old sheet I'll have access to the stud cavity. I get the part about trimming the length of the new pipe extension, but are you saying to solder the new faucet to the pipe after the siding is up? Or use some other method to connect the faucet? If solder, how the heck do you solder something that close to wood siding? (In fact the connection is inside the siding as near as I can tell)

Is there a reason for soldering hose bibs to copper pipe, rather than say using a compression connection or something threaded?

To clarify, I'd rather have as few splices/etc. in the siding as possible since this wall is under a gable end, completely exposed. See my other thread in A/C for a photo of the whole set of holes etc.

Steve

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: