Gas Line for Firepit & BBQ

Old 03-07-13, 02:02 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas Line for Firepit & BBQ

I need to run a gas line to a firepit and a built in BBQ grill.

There is a 3/4" sub out on the back of the house with a shut off valve.

Need to run line from stub underground about 20' to location of firepit & then run about 40' to location of gas grill & sideburner.

Need advice on running the line underground-

I was planning on running 3/4" black pipe wrapped in sealing tape, 3/4" T to firepit and then 3/4" from there to grill location which will be built into BBQ island with a shut off valve.

Any advice or info is appreciated!

Thanks,
Joe

Old 03-07-13, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
How many BTU is each appliance??????

Not sure if you can run black pipe anymore...I have not run black pipe under ground in 25 years..... Poly or copper is more common....

Old 03-08-13, 09:03 AM
J
Side Burner - 15,000 each burner - 2 total

Grill - 20,000

Have not picked out fire pit but the ones I've seen online are 70,000

Old 03-08-13, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator
Hmmmm.... Your almost border line if your calculations on length and btu are correct,

You can supply max at 60 ft with 3/4 is 138k btu.

The bigger question is where does this gas line your tapping off come from????

If it was not calculated properly on where the tapping is, then you will starve the other appliances for gas. That can lead to carbon issues as well as draft and dangerous CO issue....

You really need to do your homework here. Just cant go around hooking stuff up without a proper calculation on what the main can support.....

Old 03-08-13, 02:21 PM
J
I'm not going to do this myself, I'm wanting to make sure I'm paying for what I need. I'm going to find a licensed plumber to it as I'd like to have the yellow flex line installed. The whole project is being permitted so I also don't want any issues with inspections. I just like to get educated on things so I know if I'm getting BS'd.

The stub is on the back of the house which was built in the last yr or two. I'm thinking I'll need to have a line run from the meter to the fire pit and grill w/ sideburner.

If say the firepit is 80,000 and the grill with side burner is 60,000 combined what size line should I expect them to run?

Any idea of what it should cost?

It's 120' from meter to farthest appliance (80' from meter to firepit & 40' from pit to BBQ).

Thanks!

Old 03-08-13, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator
I'm thinking I'll need to have a line run from the meter to the fire pit and grill w/ sideburner.

Yes exactly what you should do....

1" @ 125 ft is 175K btu... 3/4 only supplys 93 K.

Cost???? About $25-$30 a foot here in NJ. Plus the ends which tacks on another $600 or so. Thats complete trenching and all.....

Pricey right?

To do yourself the 1" poly pipe with an ID of 1.07 in @ 150 ft will cost about $200 or so with shipping.

The risers are similar... $220 for the pair with shipping.

So say $500 for the main materials. Rent a trencher...$200 say... Another $100 for fittings...Permits...$100.

Lets just say $1000 bucks to do yourself...... The rest you pay is labor.

Thats just my calculation.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: